bugged.zip
Contains bugged.acd
For all systems. To play, you'll need an Alan Interpreter for your system - visit the Alan home page for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

Bugged

by Anssi Räisänen

Surreal
2001

The conceit of this game is that your cousin has written a very buggy IF game that you are determined to play through to the end. Can you take advantage of the bugs in the game to get around the other bugs that are blocking your progress?

Development System: Alan 2
IFID: ALAN-0C1A741316C68C98DCBFE686F0F83761
TUID: kozmwlhgd6icof6x

A clever and silly thinking-outside-the-box piece in the tradition of A New Day and Cheater. Your cousin has written a terrible text adventure in a generic fantasy setting, riddled with bugs which make it impossible to progress by normal means. Can you finish the game by abnormal means? Short, linear, very forgiving. Contains gentle hints.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Some of the bugs strain credulity a bit -- it's not clear what sort of coding error would make an object both out of reach and takeable. Likewise, it sometimes seems like every single object that should be takeable isn't and every one that shouldn't be is, suggesting that the "cousin" simply doesn't understand the word "static" (or an Alan equivalent) -- but on the whole it's a plausible buggy game.

The joke, I suppose, is that the buggy game is more interesting than the non-buggy one would have been; the puzzles that you would have solved are bog-standard, whereas the buggy version at least requires some thinking outside the box.

Brass Lantern
In the first few moves I found this very frustrating. After all, I hate bug-ridden games but once I caught on to the twisted way of thinking required, I found that "Bugged" was a funny and enjoyable game.

Funniest game I've played in a long time, October 21, 2015
by RickyD (South Carolina, USA)
I absolutely loved this game -- both the premise and the execution. Of course, I have a twisted sense of humor, so that probably helps. It deliberately makes fun of itself, and showcases common pitfalls of making IF games (including making objects takeable that shouldn't be, ambiguous verbs, making you use objects in ways that they're not intended, etc.) Of course, it takes some of these to absurd levels, but that's really just part of the fun.

I hate to admit, but I had to check out the walkthrough a time or two, just because I couldn't quite figure out the "wrong" way to accomplish the task at hand. It's a quick game and certainly worth playing again, if for no other reason than to see what other crazy responses it'll give you that you may have missed the first time around.

If you're looking for a lighthearted but slightly twisted game to break up the monotony, this one's certainly for you.

If you enjoyed Bugged...