Story file

Hard Puzzle 4: The Ballad of Bob and Cheryl

by Ade McT profile

Episode 4 of Hard Puzzle Trilogy

In the BioDome after the Event, it's all getting a little bit desperate. And Bob isn't much help. He won't even let you use his stool. You know. For milking.

A silly little IF puzzler. But can you solve it?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
Forgiveness Rating: Nasty
IFID: A9E58978-42A8-4594-BE16-EDA0CA7EFBD3
TUID: k8dkltoa6lpctn2u

31st Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A polished puzzler where everything including the fourth wall is broken, December 3, 2019
by Linus Ňkesson (Lund, Sweden)
Hard Puzzle 4 is a highly enjoyable text game, if approached with the right mindset. On the surface it may look like a buggy, half-implemented shambles, but donít let that fool you: It really is a buggy, half-implemented shambles.

Itís also a masterfully crafted puzzlebox that keeps opening up in fresh and surprising ways, and requires you to step out of the box on more than one occasion. Donít expect a great story, but prepare for lateral thinking exercises, shocking discoveries, and intricate exploitable flaws.

The game encourages you to cheat. Be sure to check out the so called walkthrough, and follow the instructions in the help command. There are similarities with Serhii Mozhaiskyiís I. A. G. Alpha, but this game takes it up a notch. There came a time when I felt that it was probably expected of me to harvest the Glulx strings for clues. I did so, and found encrypted data and a message from the author, berating me for peeking.

Going for a deliberately crappy aesthetic is obviously a risky move, but for me personally, defeating this puzzlebox was one of the highlights of IFComp 2019.

The "Hard Puzzle" anti-game aesthetic adapted to IFComp, October 19, 2019
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
The Hard Puzzle games have always been odd-balls. They tend to be extremely fussy sandboxes with mechanics you can use over and over and whose solutions require enormous leaps of intuition, endless experimentation with absolutely everything, or just dumb luck.

This game honors that legacy by having many, many sandbox commands and requiring some outrageous leaps of intuition. I had solved some of the previous Hard Puzzles by decompiling them, and this game has some good-natured nods to people who 'cheat' at games like that.

This differs from the other Hard Puzzles, though, in that it can be solved piece by piece, instead of an all-at-once lightning bolt thought like the former ones.

I won by cheating in three different ways (including (Spoiler - click to show)'decompiling', the intfiction forums, and decompiling).

If you enjoyed Hard Puzzle 4: The Ballad of Bob and Cheryl...

People who like Hard Puzzle 4: The Ballad of Bob and Cheryl also gave high ratings to these games:

My Evil Twin, by Carl Muckenhoupt
After last night's all-nighter (I had an important report to do for work), I intended to sleep all through the day. But I can't afford to do that. Somewhere out there, my evil twin is plying his schemes, and I'm the only one who can stop...

EyeMoon: Protect My Precious Vilg!!!, by Porpentine
a weird strategy game featuring -multiple endings and secrets! -the ONLY strategy game where you can IRRESPONSIBLY GAMBLE while your TOWN is DESTROYED! -FOUR mind-blowing resources! -MULTIPLE locations to VISIT! -state of the art...

Girth Loinhammer and the Quest for the Unsee Elixir, by Damon L. Wakes
You are Girth Loinhammer, Dungeon Lord! It's a pretty sweet gig, with a gigantic trap-filled underground dungeon and a vast collection of torture devices with which to torment those who venture within your domain. Or rather, it would be...

The following polls include votes for Hard Puzzle 4: The Ballad of Bob and Cheryl:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Overall Puzzles of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best Puzzles in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Overall NPCs of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best NPCs in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest games...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 6 July 2020 at 5:13pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item