InsideADRIFT #41
Contains Cut.taf
In which it is featured.
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Cut the Red Wire! No, the Blue Wire!

by David Whyld profile

Humor
2012

You are a bomb disposal expert at the old warehouse on Throggmorton Row facing a big, nasty bomb. A red wire and a blue wire dangle from the side of the bomb.

First Publication Date: February 2, 2012
Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: ADRIFT-400-89B1EBDF3E9BD64FD6DE84F8EBCF6700
TUID: jwirkbm7rdqt1cfl

Frustrating... Until You Win, March 4, 2013
Cut the Red Wire! No, the Blue Wire! is of the one turn game genre. It's short, and could have used with a bit more deviation in responses, but in truth had it been randomized too much the player might spin their wheels even more than they already do. Basically, I thought this was frustrating and unsolvable and was cursing David for writing a game with a show-stopping bug... until I realized that it was written just as he'd intended it. When you *do* win, especially after the frustration, it's quite satisfying. Clever (if quick) work, Mr. Whyld.

Amusing but frustrating!, December 1, 2013
by Lazzah (London, UK)
This is a very short game with some quite amusing responses in David's usual witty style. I played it for a bit, got blown up numerous times, gave up as you only have one move to input the correct command and I could not work out what it was.

I have to say that, knowing David's preference for ADRIFT 4, I assumed that he had written using that and so I ran the game using the ADRIFT 4 Runner.

I then ran the game using the ADRIFT 5 runner and to my great surprise a character called Stacy was listed after the location text. As this character was not there when I ran the game in the ADRIFT 4 runner, I must therefore assume that David used ADRIFT 5 to write this little ditty.

The line breaks are in need of attention but that's just me being picky. All in all an amusing but frustrating five minutes worth.

A fun little game, December 1, 2013
This game doesn't offer much in encouragement, creating a lot of frustration, but it is fun and well-written, and the (singular) puzzle is solvable.

Try anything you can think of for a potentially funny response, but expect a tough time actually solving this one; you'll have to think outside the box.

If you enjoyed Cut the Red Wire! No, the Blue Wire!...

People who like Cut the Red Wire! No, the Blue Wire! also gave high ratings to these games:

Dragon Resources Stories, by Peter Berman

Wearing the Claw, by Paul O'Brian
A traditional fantasy quest in which you and your village have been cursed with a slow transformation into various animals. The only way to stop the curse is to retrieve the Pendant of Elinor from the mysterious island of the Goergs....

Age of Fable, by James Hutchings
Age of Fable is a free role-playing game which you play through your web browser. Its style is deliberately 'retro', based on the gamebooks whose popularity peaked in the 80s such as Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Tunnels and Trolls, and...

The following polls include votes for Cut the Red Wire! No, the Blue Wire!:

Give me a second chance! by verityvirtue
I'm looking for games which work like Bigger Than You Think - where dying isn't the end, where you're given second chances, where your second chances give you gear or skills or knowledge that you need to know to win the game.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by DB on 4 February 2012 at 10:14am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item