fren5-3.gam

Baf's Guide ID: 1965
IFID: TADS2-1C01506C8C0FAB56941E23B23BEDC5EB
TUID: jvgcipf8g5v88nis

Nominee, Best NPCs - 2002 XYZZY Awards

Parody of both Interactive Fiction conventions and the conventions of the superhero genre. Strong on verbal humor and puns, with several sidekick NPCs; puzzles are (deliberately) rather arbitrary. Probably frustrating to new IF players.

-- Emily Short

IF-Review
Here is a competently written, amusing, decently coded and well-tested game that seems to assert that IF -- or perhaps life as a whole -- is an exercise in jumping through bizarre hoops in order to achieve some unspecified goal that may not even be what you wanted to start with.

Funny! Funny! And then..., March 29, 2010
As I started playing the third (and final?) entry in the Frenetic Five series, I found myself immersed and smiling almost immediately.

Once again, you take the role of Improv, MacGyver-disciple and leader of the City's most available group of superhero temp workers. This game opens with you at the tail end of a party, playing "Battle Cry" with some other local crime fighters after indulging yourself a bit too much. I knew I was already hooked when I immediately replayed the prelude to get another crack at this game-within-a-game. I was extremely disappointed to discover that the catchphrase "Able to carry wood furniture up a flight of stairs in a single bound!" was not for a superhero called The Prime Mover.

Author Neil deMause really seems to have been getting the hang of writing IF by the time this piece was created. As before, the story universe seems alive, with the action for many scripted scenes and exchanges taking place over several turns. There is little temptation to keep entering "wait" to see them play out, however, for two reasons: First, there is a lot to keep you occupied in the game environment. Second, the way they are written doesn't necessarily tip you off that they will continue from turn to turn.

This method is an extremely effective way of creating a convincing social atmosphere; the interaction amongst the NPCs gives them a sense of independent life (in stark contrast with the stage puppets that many IF NPCs resemble), while at the same time feeding you a steady drip of characterization, backstory, and hints. The technique's potency won the work an XYZZY award for "Best NPC" -- the second for the series.

The work required by the author to create this mirage is significant, and there are limits to how long it can be sustained. Spend too long in an area without moving the plot forward, and your companions will become oddly silent, an after-effect of the compelling illusion provided when they are "on".

Long-time players will recognize the site of your team's mission as the setting for Zork. Perhaps that is why this episode feels like it has some meat to it, and that it will take some real effort to reach the end. This is just another trick, however -- the total length is typical for a modern, non-commercial piece.

The implementation quality is much improved when compared to previous entries in the series. I did encounter a few small bugs, but nothing significant to gameplay.

As with previous episodes, the highlight of this piece is the author's sense of humor. It starts funny, it stays funny, and then... (Spoiler - click to show)well, then there's the ending.

To call the ending unsatisfying is an understatement. I was powerfully reminded of the movie The French Connection, for the strange and sudden severing of the viewer from the plot thread, leaving the story to end not with a bang but a whimper. (Well, figuratively, at least.)

Frankly, I couldn't believe that the ending I saw was the only one available. I scoured the internet for hints and walkthroughs, finding only a single walkthrough that delivered the same ending. A few more iterations of the climax scene offered no other options, so I took the unusual step of decompiling the game file to look for other possible variations. There were none.

Why you would go through the effort of creating a work of this scale to deliver such a disjointed, downer ending is beyond me, but doing so is the author's privilege. Mr. deMause seems to have a penchant for challenging player expectations of the medium, and this certainly qualifies.

Assuming you don't want to read the spoiler above, all I can say is that the ending is different from what you might expect of this genre or this series.(Spoiler - click to show) The only takeaway seems to be: Friends Don't Let Friends Fight Crime Drunk.

In addition to being mostly enjoyable as entertainment, this is an excellent piece for study of technique -- both writing and coding. Even with the spare object and verb implementation, the world is vibrant and animated in a way that few works of IF manage to be. I gladly recommend it to anyone looking for some laughs, which are delivered at their usual "frenetic" pace.

An odd Frenetic Five game with Adventure references, February 3, 2016
The Frenetic Five games are a series of games involving superheros with mundane powers and usually a lot of guess-what-the-author-is-thinking puzzles. This one is no different, although it is odd in that it involves more excitement and a maze-like area.

You are Improv, with the power to make use ordinary objects in unusual ways. Your team has similar powers. You have to make your way through a series of tasks such as getting out of a house while drunk, until you get to a mine.

The mine is very different from previous Frenetic Five games. It is a homage to Zork and Adventure, with a lantern, elvish sword, trapdoor, underground maze, a dam, etc. The actions you have to take in here are so improbable as to defy belief. Also, the ending is confusing and a bit anti-climactic.

There is more real life action in this game than the previous games. The game was nominated for Best NPCs in the XYZZY's.

If you enjoyed The Frenetic Five vs. the Seven Deadly Dwarves...

People who like The Frenetic Five vs. the Seven Deadly Dwarves also gave high ratings to these games:

Indigo, by Emily Short
"Years ago, a witch placed you in this tower and arranged for your upkeep, paying certain villagers well to keep you supplied with the most basic necessities, and no more. Your years in the tower have changed you. You are more or less a...

Plundered Hearts, by Amy Briggs
In the 17th century, the seas are as wild as the untamed heart of a young woman. But when you set out on the schooner Lafond Deux, bound for the West Indies, your thoughts are only of your ailing father who awaits your care. Little do...

To Hell in a Hamper, by J. J. Guest
Professor Pettibone, eminent Victorian balloonist, has a problem. He can't get it up. His balloon that is. If he can't reach an altitude of 20,000 feet, and soon, both he and his mysterious travelling companion Hubert Booby will be...

The Frenetic Five vs. the Seven Deadly Dwarves appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Noteworthy Games Which Can't Be Played on iOS or the IFDB by Walter Sandsquish

Best superhero games by MathBrush
These are games featuring superheros, with my thoughts on them. I haven't tried the Frenetic Five games yet.

The following polls include votes for The Frenetic Five vs. the Seven Deadly Dwarves:

Multi-Part Games by Bloodsong
I was wondering just how many games out there, either completely text based, or text-adventure hybrids, are out there that involve a story line over the course of several games. I know for sure of the Sorcerer trilogy from Infocom...any...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 24 December 2015 at 1:22pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item