Play online

Quest for the Sword of Justice

by Damon L. Wakes

2020

It has been 100 years since the vile legions of Necroth were defeated. 100 years of years of peace and harmony. But a shadow grows in the frozen north, and dark forces assemble in the wilds and on the roads. Has the tyrant once again risen up to blight the land with his crimes? In this time of wind and chaos, only one thing is certain: justice must be done. Thanks to Kris Dikeman for playtesting.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
Development System: RPG Maker
TUID: jtlkn3tppnrwelwg

76th Place - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Stop me if you've heard this one before..., December 10, 2020
by Mike Russo (Los Angeles)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2020
Your enjoyment of QftSoJ will come down to two things: 1) how forgiving are you of RPG Maker games in IFComp (Iím fine either way, though it doesnít seem like the engineís strengths are well-suited for the competition); and 2) are you in the market for a solidly-done but not especially groundbreaking JRPG satire (in space-year 2020, I gotta say Ė eh, not really?)

As with Equal-librium, this is a short game with only one real gag, so itís impossible to discuss without blowing the punch-line. So you might as well go play it, itíll take five minutes. Iíll keep busy here thinking about CRPG tropes that have and havenít been sent up. Letís see, thereís the slay-foozle plot, the companions whoíll defend you to the death five minutes after your first meeting, the economy-ruining hoards of magical items and gold you obtain after a couple hours of low-danger grinding, the way the world levels up alongside your character until you hit the town where every random guard is 60th level, the endless fetch-quests with either disproportionately meager or disproportionately lavish rewardsÖ all thatís pretty well-plowed ground, I think. Itís pretty hard to think of something that hasnít been the butt of lots and lots of jokes!

OK, weíre back, and now that we know QftSoJ takes aim at the adventurer-who-takes-everything-that-isnít-nailed-down-because-an-old-man-told-him-he-was-the-chosen-one trope, perhaps you too can relate to the sense of ennui in the first paragraph above. This is a pretty good take on the genre, but to say itís hoary is an insult to octogenarians. The joke is well constructed: while the absence of any introductory text setting up your task I think is a misstep, itís pretty clear that youíre supposed to think you need to gather equipment before getting out of town (and that youíll specifically need a sword to clear some foliage for one of the villagers). The backstory the old man spouts is just the sort of generic JRPG guff that makes the playerís eyes roll without reading it closely enough to realize itís loony. And thereís a bit of reactivity at the trial depending on your previous actions, as well as your legal strategy, making it worth a replay to see the different outcomes (of course youíre doomed no matter what).

But even the greatest amount of craft has a hard time making a five-minute joke game all that memorable. And I personally found the setup funnier than the actual writing and jokes (with one or two exceptions: the protagonist being named ďAdonis OrcbaneĒ is 80% of the way to being a great gag, and the guard arresting you with a ďYouíre nicked, Sonny Jim!Ē got a chortle out of me). If itís your first time encountering this sort of thing, I could see QftSoJ being a hoot Ė but itís hard for me to believe thatís true for many folks!

A light JRPG parody, October 19, 2020
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)
Growing up on JRPGs and being a huge fan of the Dragon Quest series, I was excited when I loaded this one up. For sure it really stretches the bounds of interactive fiction, but here there's no hand-eye coordination necessary and there's plenty of text, so it works.

Quest for the Sword of Justice is a brief send-up of the genre, poking fun at the same things that most everyone has been poking fun at for thirty years now. The jokes still work, especially the more subtle ones you can discover just by examining the most random of things in your environment (like other people's meals!). However, I wish there was more to it and both possible endings annoyed me more than made me laugh, especially since they contradict each other.

If you're a fan of JRPGs you will probably find this amusing for ten minutes. If you've never played one, the jokes probably won't land as well.

short graphic RPG with a story; a satire or parody of RPG conventions, October 5, 2020
by WidowDido (Northern California)
Related reviews: if comp 2020
The definition for IF is broad enough to cover a lot of games. Yet, if it is broad enough to cover this piece, nearly every RPG with a storyline told in written dialogue and that allows for a measure of interactivity would be IF. I'm for a broad definition, but at a certain point the term IF ceases to be useful.

The game seems to be a very short parody of RPG conventions. Shockingly, what is customary behavior in games can be seen differently in real life. Most players will do a first playthrough, (Spoiler - click to show)following the established expectations. Then, after learning from that first experience, try it again. (Spoiler - click to show)But will find this ending ain't any more satisfying.

Unless there's something I overlooked, there's nothing really new in this work. Many other games deal with this in their own way. Even serious games may give a humorous or self-aware response when a player tries a conventional action that conflicts with the type of realism the designer is trying to establish.

For anyone interested in how game designers can mess around with genre conventions, it may be worth the short amount of time it would take for a couple plays. But anyone looking to just play some IF will likely be disappointed with this work.

Irony So Thick, You Could Cut It With a Sword, December 6, 2020
by Joey Acrimonious
Related reviews: IFComp 2020
Quest for the Sword of Justice is a surprising little game that subverted my expectations at every turn. Although, maybe that's just because I haven't played enough self-aware RPGs.

Right off the bat, as an RPGMaker game, it wasnít what I expected to see in IFComp at all. But then, it also cheerfully ignores many of the salient features of its own engine, eschewing the traditional RPG experience in favor of something a bit different. The thing is, (Spoiler - click to show)the game comes with all the trappings you'd expect: skills/attributes, an XP system, an inventory system, etc., all seemingly included with combat in mind. But there isn't any combat and all that stuff is pure window-dressing. By subverting the expected mechanics of an RPG, Quest for the Sword of Justice cleverly weaves an element of parody into the structure of the game itself.

This is employed in service to the overarching story, which also is basically a comic endeavor. The author does a great job of setting up certain expectations with apparent seriousness, only to proceed to smash those expectations into tiny bits for humorous effect.

Itís a short game and a light read, but I found it successful in (what I think is) its main goal of being good for a laugh or two. There are at least a couple different endings to find, and both of the ones I got were amusing.

A lesson for aspiring adventurers, December 2, 2020
by AKheon (Finland)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2020, comedy
Quest for the Sword of Justice is a short comedy game made on RPG Maker by Damon L. Wakes in 2020. You are an aspiring young adventurer who wishes to leave his hometown and become a hero.

The gameplay consists of wandering around the town, trying to become equipped for great battles ahead. But as you might guess from the gameís advertised 15-minute length, the adventure wonít be very epic despite the convincing enough JRPG-trappings. (Spoiler - click to show)Trying to pick up the Sword of Justice from the local sanctuary ends poorly for our hero, one way or another.

The presentation is smooth, although I think most or all of the assets here come from RPG Maker itself. Some of the humor works, some seems a bit bland. Especially the beginning where you randomly wander around the town doesnít have too much going on - I was expecting some more snappy dialogue or other responses, although there is a chance that I just missed some of the jokes.

The game has multiple endings depending on (Spoiler - click to show)your dialogue choices, who you talked to and what items you picked up before taking the Sword of Justice, so thereís a bit more to the game than first meets the eye. But not much. I wouldnít mind playing a more fleshed-out parody of JRPG conventions, but I fear a part of the joke would go amiss in a longer game that was more than just an interactive anti-climax, a faint promise of adventures never meant to be.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by JTN on 9 December 2020 at 7:51pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item