screen.z5

2002

Baf's Guide ID: 1931
IFID: ZCODE-1-020926-73CF
TUID: jjoq99888alyudvp

29th Place - 8th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2002)

A brief and rather disjointed game which presents a couple of scenarios based on classic television series, embedded in a frame story that seems to have little to do with these interludes. There are some fairly egregious typos. One of the embedded scenarios also involves timing so tight that it would be hard for any player to solve it on the first (or perhaps even second) try.

-- Emily Short

I really enjoyed this game, but it had small faults. Before I mention them, I would first like to mention that it was very well-written. I found no obvious grammar errors. Almost everything I examined had descriptions. I found no obvious bugs. I liked the overall premise. The best way to describe it without spoilers is "short and sweet." However, it is just the right size for what it is trying to do.
-- Tony Baechler

Dear me, every time I start to praise this game I end up criticizing it. Overall, Screen is a nicely sketched vignette. Even if it feels rather aimless and disjointed at times (man, there I go again!), I didn't want my 45 minutes back after I finished it. It's a nice start at the IF craft, and I look forward to the author's next work.

Two short TV-themed mini games in an unusual framing story, May 13, 2016
This game has a framing story about visiting the house of a friendly old man who you knew as a kid who recently passed away. You explore a treehouse and his house, with some weird happenings going on.

Once inside, you experience two strange episodes based off of classic television shows.

The puzzles are a bit odd, with mechanics that mostly involve trying everything.

Somehow, though, the game had something appealing in the descriptive writing which would make me play again.

Screen on IFDB

Screen appears in the following Recommended Lists:

TV, Film, Music and Theatre related games by MathBrush
This is a collection of games that are related to the film, tv, music or theatre industries, without regard to quality.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 16 September 2013 at 4:09pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item