Phantasmagoria

by Jac Colvin

2020

Where dreams can be more lethal than the waking world​.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2020
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: jd11p084y6h9ghcv

6th Place, La Petite Mort - English - ECTOCOMP 2020

All greek to me, November 1, 2020
by jakomo
Related reviews: ectocomp2020
Short Choicescript game with eight possible achievements (I managed six). A dream-deity from Greek mythology (I guess Phantasos judging by the title) has captured you, and puts you through a gauntlet of challenges to secure your freedom. You're time-limited, with a candle-wax meter counting down how close to doom you are. The choices are somewhat arbitrary, so there is no real way to strategize, and role-playing is also limited to a handful of flavour choices. But the game is short enough that it doesn't matter, it's classic choose-your-own-adventure: play it over and over until you find the one winning path. Fans of Fighting Fantasy, especially, should enjoy.

A short replayable escape game in Choicescript, November 15, 2020
I debated back and forth on what score to give this game, so I'm going to break it down by points.

This is a short choicescript game where you have to defeat an evil spirit in a test involving an ever-shortening candle.

It has a cool yellow bar representing the candle, and its structure allows for quick replay.

When I saw the timer, I felt nervous, so the game was able to impact me emotionally. I played through to two different endings.

Very impressive for four hours. I know its silly, but I think the yellow bar is what bumped it up from 3 stars to 4 for me, it's just cool to me as a Choicescript author.

If you enjoyed Phantasmagoria...