Nouns

by Andrew Plotkin

Episode 15 of nanobots

A hypertext fiction based on the They Might Be Giants song of the same name.

IFID: 5AC720CA-9636-4958-BAA3-041205DBB23B
TUID: jacofef8356pyl1i

A They Might Be Giants Nanobots tribute game with disappearing words, April 9, 2018
This game is part of the They Might Be Giants Nanobots tribute album. This 'album' consists of Twine games inspired by the songs and their lyrics, and is a sequel to the Apollo 18 Tribute Album of parser games in 2012.

I passed over Nouns at first, as it's fairly minimal. I was learning Twine at the time and downloading games to look at the code, and Nouns had a tiny, tiny 'game map'. Then I realized it was all javascript.

The game consists of one passage, almost all of whose words are links. Clicking on each link transforms the game.

I thought it was random at first, but on subsequent playthroughs, I realized there was a specific pattern involved. I liked it.

I only took off one star because I didn't engage with the game on an emotional level. Otherwise, the game is polished, descriptive, with good interactivity and a nice overall experience.

If you enjoyed Nouns...