Story file
by David Welbourn

Beet the Devil

by Carolyn VanEseltine profile

2011

Your dog is gone. She must be brought. You have a beet (and some other vegetables).

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
IFID: 37C28BEB-E353-4FA3-A1F0-B67F772488EF
TUID: iwnjysclklhi1zwn

7th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

Nominee, Best Individual NPC - 2011 XYZZY Awards

Celery will never be the same again, November 18, 2011
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
Beet the Devil is a fine puzzle game, polished, smart, and often funny. We follow a grumpy, god-fearing old man as he descends into the underworld to beat the devil... using vegetables.

Actually, that is not quite accurate. I almost gave up on solving the puzzles at the beginning of the game because I was working from the rather natural assumption that one should use vegetables to make progress. It turns out that not all the puzzles are of this form, so you should expand your expectations a little.

The puzzles themselves are a mixed bunch. Some of them are clever and intuitive, other require leaps of logic that I wasn't prepared to make. However, which puzzles belong to which category will probably differ from person to person, and since I myself had no trouble at all with the demon of lust, I can only hope that this in no way indicates anything about one's personality. In general the puzzles are perhaps a bit too easy to make you feel smart for solving them, but I don't complain; they were good enough, and the quality of the writing kept the game interesting.

Then there is final confrontation with evil. I am a sucker for this type of ending, then type where you suddenly know what to type, and you know that this specific command will win you the game, and you type it, and it wins you the game. Very satisfying.

As a morality tale it doesn't work at all, of course. But I assume that it wasn't meant as a morality tale, so I won't hold that against the game.

Puzzle-based allegory, October 12, 2013
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: sanguine
Smoke and divots and scorching and stinky brimstone – there’s only one thing this could mean.

There has been demons in your garden.

So begins this tale of a God-fearing parish worker whose dog has disappeared. Armed with a motley crew of, uh, vegetables and one puppy, he ventures deep into the depths of Hell. He has to battle various trials and tribulations to get his dog back.

While the premise of the game is rather linear, the puzzles are all fairly straightforward and stand alone. In case you don’t get it, location-based walkthroughs are also available. Some of the puzzles require a small amount of lateral thinking and most will make you smile and go, “Oh, right!”. Although it is possible to die in the middle of the game, abundant contextual hints are provided and it is always possible to undo the mistake. Special mention should go to the endgame, which I thought was (fridge?) brilliance: it was quite a "Why didn't I think of that?!" moment (for me, at least).

There is also some characterisation near the endgame, which provides some background to an otherwise colourless PC and pathos to an otherwise light game. Suitable for those who are just looking for a fun diversion, or who are bad with puzzles.

An amusing, vegetable-based trip to Hell, February 3, 2016
In this game, you a farmer whose crops are destroyed by the devil. With a trusty puppy and an armful of veggies, you descend into hell to retrieve your bird dog.

Most puzzles have food or vegetable-related solutions. Many of them were clear, but some (including an early puzzle) seemed obscure to me. However, trying every vegetable can help.

The writing is great, and the game overall has high quality. There is a bit of adult content with a succubus, but nothing crazy.

Recommended for everyone.

If you enjoyed Beet the Devil...

People who like Beet the Devil also gave high ratings to these games:

A Woman's Choice, by Katie Benson
To breed or not to breed, that is the question. So what'll it be, Jennifer? Join Jennifer on her journey through life. The choices you make in her early years will resonate for years to come, sometimes with devastating consequences. But...

Guttersnipe: St. Hesper's Asylum for the Criminally Mischievous, by Bitter Karella
The year is 1929. You are Lil' Ragamuffin, the roughest toughest urchin in all of Garbagetown DC and the surrounding wastes of Montgomery County, but somehow the constabulary has managed to capture you and commit you to the city's...

Sardoria, by Anssi Räisänen
You play as a young villager who is attempting warn the king about an imminent attack at nightfall. The castle guards, not believing your tale, have imprisoned you in the castle's wine cellar. You must escape and get to the king!

Beet the Devil appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great religious and mythological games by MathBrush
My "Best Fantasy" list was growing too big, so I'm splitting off the religious, mythological, and afterlife games. Some games like Curses! have a lot of religious and mythological references, but this list focuses on games where it's the...

Games set in hell by verityvirtue
Games in which a major setting is hell, the underworld, Hades or some variation thereof. Omissions likely because I haven't played the game, and, as always, suggestions are welcome.

vv's comfort food IF by verityvirtue
Like it says on the tin. I hope these give you a measure of comfort as well.

The following polls include votes for Beet the Devil:

Games with NPCs that tag along by Ghalev
List here any games that feature a (preferably memorable!) "sidekick" character - an NPC who follows the viewpoint character around for most or all of the game, as per Floyd in Planetfall or Trent/Tiffany in Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Lance Campbell on 17 May 2020 at 8:47pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item