Very Vile Fairy File

by Billy Boling profile

Fantasy / Wordplay

Well, your name is Kerry Kyle, so you can't be the worst person to destroy the Very Vile Fairy File.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
TUID: ihz4d2ywva0v0g2

Good fun!, October 15, 2019
by IngridWolf
Related reviews: IF Comp 2019
This game is the first parser I’ve ever played, so it felt rather different, but engaging instantly.

You proceed by picking and typing in a rhyme to something on the passage. I’m glad I had a walkthrough, otherwise I’d have found this game extremely difficult to play, considering that English is not my first language. But, having it, I could simply enjoy the smoothly-flowing and humorous narrative.

The multiple locations and characters are depicted with great imagination. The slightly absurd nature of this world, and its reliance on word play, is reminding of Alice in Wonderland.

At times I laughed out loud, but there also was a serious message hidden between the lines that I liked just as much. A top rating well-deserved!

An enjoyable rhyming-based game, October 11, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
Andrew Schultz makes games by taking a wordplay idea and finding as many examples of it as possible, then building a game around that list.

Sometimes, it feels a little forced. Some times, it feels great. This is one of those great times, at least for me.

I'm not coming in looking for a cohesive narrative. I'm coming in to have pure puzzling fun that hurts your brain.

I would rank this game up around with Shuffling Around, one of my favorites, but a little below Threediopolis, my absolute favorite.

I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5 because I didn't feel immersed in the game, instead approaching it academically.

If you enjoyed Very Vile Fairy File...

People who like Very Vile Fairy File also gave high ratings to these games:

Terminal Interface for Models RCM301-303, by Victor Gijsbers
A text terminal interface for interacting with your model RCM301-303 remote controlled mech.

The Storm, by Stephane F.
At home, safe and warm. Everywhere : the night. Outside, the storm. « The Storm » is the english version of « La Tempête » released for the French comp 2018. Translation by Stéphane F. and Jack Welch.

Finding Martin, by G.K. Wennstrom
Venture past the limits of ordinary reality as you investigate the mysterious disappearance of an old friend. In order to solve the most challenging of these puzzles, you will need to cooperate with yourself by making several time travel...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 5 October 2019 at 11:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item