Release 2
post-comp release. The game expanded from z-machine to glulx.

Very Vile Fairy File

by Billy Boling profile

Fantasy / Wordplay

Well, your name is Kerry Kyle, so you can't be the worst person to destroy the Very Vile Fairy File.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 3C06F875-455C-4D32-9849-F18CFCE1CE0B
TUID: ihz4d2ywva0v0g2

21st Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

News

Expand all | Add a news item

An enjoyable rhyming-based game, November 10, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
Andrew Schultz makes games by taking a wordplay idea and finding as many examples of it as possible, then building a game around that list.

Sometimes, it feels a little forced. Some times, it feels great. This is one of those great times, at least for me.

I'm not coming in looking for a cohesive narrative. I'm coming in to have pure puzzling fun that hurts your brain.

I would rank this game up around with Shuffling Around, one of my favorites, but a little below Threediopolis, my absolute favorite.

Good fun!, October 15, 2019
by IngridWolf
Related reviews: IF Comp 2019
This game is the first parser I’ve ever played, so it felt rather different, but engaging instantly.

You proceed by picking and typing in a rhyme to something on the passage. I’m glad I had a walkthrough, otherwise I’d have found this game extremely difficult to play, considering that English is not my first language. But, having it, I could simply enjoy the smoothly-flowing and humorous narrative.

The multiple locations and characters are depicted with great imagination. The slightly absurd nature of this world, and its reliance on word play, is reminding of Alice in Wonderland.

At times I laughed out loud, but there also was a serious message hidden between the lines that I liked just as much. A top rating well-deserved!

If you enjoyed Very Vile Fairy File...