dunnet.tar.Z
(Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.Z "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)
Emacs dunnet solved
Includes a kind of "amusing" section.
Emacs Dunnet solution
Includes a short FAQ.

Dunnet

by Ron Schnell

Surreal
1992

A text adventure that is built into almost every copy of the Emacs text editor.

It can be run by running "emacs -batch -l dunnet" in a shell or the key sequence "M-x dunnet" within Emacs, the former being the preferred and official way to run it.

Development System: elisp
TUID: ig3zbeoqfv4v1xl8

Dickens of a Blog
Doug Bolden, Dunnet (IF)
You have to type commands into two different computers throughout. One is a VAX and the other is, um, something like a PC (I forget). In both cases, there are clues to be found by knowing your way around the interface. This is a game for computer folk, so most who play it will have a sense of how to type "ls" or "dir" depending on the OS. But not all, will. Beating the game requires a general sense of computer literacy. You must know what types are in ftp. You must know how to determine what type a file is. You must know how to read a text file on a DOS style prompt. You must know something about protocols and etiquette for logging into ftp servers. All this sort of thing. If you do, or are willing to learn (I looked up some of the stuff online) then you can get past this portion with no problem. But this can be like the maze to some people, requiring several replays to get things right.

The end result is a quirky but fun game that I wish I had known about before because now I have the feeling that my computer is hiding other secrets from me. Glad to have played. Will likely play again to see how many ways I can die.

nPoly.com
Dunnet - The Ancient Game Hidden on Millions of Modern Computers
There's something unmistakably unique about Dunnet. I play a lot of video games. A lot. But I've never seen anything so... so... avant garde? Meta? I'm not sure, but Dunnet completely destroys the 4th wall of gaming, the same way that Uplink did. There's several gameplay conventions that I've never seen, even in the most modern of games. It's very fun and obscenely hard... If your a true, true gamer. You owe it to yourself to play this treasure that you may already own.

Macworld
Play an 'old-school' adventure game
Thereís no way this will replace modern gaming, but if youíre umm, of my vintage, or just want to know what we considered leading edge back in the day, give this a shot.

Dunnet is old school *nix fun , July 6, 2013
Dunnet is reminiscent of old school IF games such as Zork. It's a quick play and interesting.
The most appealing aspects of Dunnet are its novel little quirks. It integrates the use of basic Unix, FTP, and DOS commands in a fun way. It's a bit like exploring the pre-1995 Internet within the context of a Zork-like game.
The Unix commands are relatively simple - though the player is expected to know 'ls' without being told and figure out others using that information. Similarly, the player is expected to know the DOS commands 'type' without any support.
More attentive players should be able to map the maze. It would help if there was a 'verbose' setting. Be sure to use 'look' after each move in the maze.
Players should save frequently. It may be necessary to restore if any objects are destroyed. The player will have to use trial and error to figure out where to place the treasures - there are multiple drop off points through out the game.

If you enjoyed Dunnet...

People who like Dunnet also gave high ratings to these games:

Savoir-Faire, by Emily Short
The beautiful life is always damned, they say. As for you, you've overexpended yourself: fifteen years of prominence, champagne, carriage rides in the Tuileries, having your name whispered behind manicured hands, getting elegant...

The Meteor, the Stone and a Long Glass of Sherbet, by Graham Nelson (as Angela M. Horns)
Another day wasted as guest of the Empress, a wretchedly long tour of the breath-taking Boreal Falls, conducted as ever by the Lady Amilia. As if she weren't bad enough, an honour guard of soldiers, their breast-plates red in the setting...

Sorcerer, by Steve Meretzky
Sorcerer, the second of a spellbinding fantasy series in the tradition of Zork, takes you on a magical tour through the darker side of Zorkian enchantment. Your journey begins with a cryptic diary - the last trace of the now-vanished...

The following polls include votes for Dunnet:

I am looking for games that involve exploring and collecting objects but donít involve horror or creepy themes by Brennen Kinch
fore example games that involve keys and things that unlock other parts of the game that donít involve creepy things such as ghost and monsters and things like that

First IF that you have ever played by BlitzWithGuns
What is the first IF that you have ever played? The game that made you love the concept of IF?

This is version 9 of this page, edited by Dan Fabulich on 29 September 2018 at 6:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item