The Golden

by Kerry Taylor

Slice of life
2020

You are Jane, a seventeen year old girl trapped in a seaside house with no electricity and little food. Navigate the house, your increasingly strained relationships with your father and brother, and your own dread in the time it takes for the sun to set.

First Publication Date: April 2, 2020
TUID: ielx3zn0q4a27s39

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2020

A very subtle game, April 10, 2020
More than a slice of life, The Golden is a simple Twine game which manage to bring you in his world and to convey true feelings only by telling small events ; this quite behaviorist way to proceed (like a Kiyoshi Kurosawa film) works better than any Hollywoodian story, despite of its brevity. To sum up, this is a kind of ha´ku in Twine.

A very short Twine story with allusive worldbuilding and implied relationships, April 7, 2020
This short Twine game about some disaster making people not want to go out (at first seeming like Covid, later not so much).

It satisfies my 5 requirements for stars:

-Polished. This has great understated use of color and is organized neatly, with an interesting mechanic at the end.

-Descriptive: The house, people, and items and even mood were palpable to me as I read.

-Emotional impact: I could really feel the emotions the game was pushing out, maybe just because of my quarantine experiences.

-Interactivity: The card game was a nice change, and I felt like my choices in general had some kind of impact, if nothing else than in my roleplaying.

-Would I play it again? I already did. I like the feel of it. Might play it again.

If you enjoyed The Golden...