Play online
pumpkin.zip
Contains index.html

Pumpkin Pie for your soul

by Nils Fagerburg profile

Bake a pumpkin pie for the spooky ghost, or forfeit your soul!

An ECTOCOMP 2019 parser game.

First Publication Date: October 30, 2019
Development System: Custom
IFID: DDA16399-88FA-4E03-85FE-153213E0B68E
TUID: i8qmnoqxxc00bkge

6th Place, Le Grand Guignol - ECTOCOMP 2019

A difficult pie cooking game with a gorgeous aesthetic, November 20, 2019
Visually, this game is a treat. It does for a parser game what has been increasingly common for high-end Twine games over the last few years: custom fonts, background images, special styling (here marginal notes). I love it, and, having tried for a long time to style my Quixe games, I know how hard it can be.

Gameplay-wise, this is polished for an Ectocomp game. You have a ghost that randomly curses things, and a big recipe sheet that tells you how to cook things.

I didn't do too hot, getting 42 on my first attempt and then (undoing for more chances but messing up) getting a 0.

A slice of life or death, November 25, 2019
Light-hearted Ectocomp entry. A ghost has suddenly appeared in your kitchen demanding a pumpkin pie. You'd better get to work!

Very user-friendly (bolded room exits, command syntax hints). Compact location, fun writing. Some neat puzzles.

Lots of exploring the small little house area to find ingredients, and a few small puzzles beyond that as you follow the recipe for the pie.

Multiple endings depending on how the pie turns out; the ghost will rate you on your baking skills. Very nice looking interface. Think I ended up with a score in the 70s?

Definitely recommended!

If you enjoyed Pumpkin Pie for your soul...

People who like Pumpkin Pie for your soul also gave high ratings to these games:

Finish your Foe!, by Oliver Frank
Average member rating: (1 rating)
The afternoon sun burns hot even with the wind rushing through your hair. Catching a quick glance of your reflection in your sword, you quickly return your attention to the important matter at hand - your foe. It has been a long battle,...

The Hive Abroad, by Laura Michet
Sam lived among aliens for five years. Coming back home has been harder than he thought. The Hive Abroad is an experimental, nonlinear sci-fi short story about friendship, community, and changing yourself.

Cat Simulator 2016, by helado de brownie
One afternoon, the most important cat around (read: the only one in the house) must set off on a quest fraught with peril, soul-searching, and friendship all in the name of taking a snooze. Can you guide this cat to success? Or will it...

Pumpkin Pie for your soul appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games (All English Winners/Entries) by thecanvasrose

The following polls include votes for Pumpkin Pie for your soul:

Games with NPCs that tag along by Ghalev
List here any games that feature a (preferably memorable!) "sidekick" character - an NPC who follows the viewpoint character around for most or all of the game, as per Floyd in Planetfall or Trent/Tiffany in Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

This is version 7 of this page, edited by nf on 29 December 2019 at 7:16am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item