Story File *
Contains hauntedhouse.taf
Download from Delron ADRIFT v3.​8 Version
Requires an ADRIFT version 3.8 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.
Story File *
Contains hauntedhouse.taf
Download from Delron ADRIFT v4 Version
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

The Haunted House

by Campbell Wild

1999

Find the treasure, if the spooks dont get you first. Originally released using ADRIFT V3.8, it was updated for ADRIFT v4 a few years later.

Development System: ADRIFT
TUID: i4bgzu0puoxr2li

Old School, May 8, 2019
Confession time, Ive used ADRIFT for years but have never played any of the game produced by the creator himself, Campbell Wild. So, I picked The Haunted House from 1999 created with ADRIFT 3.8 as a start. Obviously from 1999 I was not expecting modern IF.

The intro sets the scene of a dare to visit a haunted house in search of a chest of gold. So it is a treasure hunt which is good, I like treasure hunts. The first thing I notice is that after I complete a few activities my score is going up. I know not everyone likes a scoring system but me, I like scoring points. And 1000 to go at as well.

The location descriptions are classic style so are very brief as in this example - You are standing in the reception area of the house. To your west is the kitchen. The main hall is to your north. To the east, is the conservatory. The front door leads outside. High above your head is a fantastic chandelier.

The only thing you can examine in the above example is the chandelier. Even the front door does not exist. Well, at least I know that the only thing of interest is the chandelier. But, as this is suppose to be a haunted house sparse location descriptions like this do nothing for the atmosphere of the place.

I do not remember running into any GTV particularly and looking back at the walkthru I created most the commands look fairly logical. Apart from magnetising an object, I got stuck on that one.

Game logic is the biggest issue I have with this game. A lot of the things you have to do, do not make any sense. Some of the puzzles are very random in nature and not very well clued, if at all. At one stage you find a candle holder and you start off the game carrying a candle so.. No, you cant put the candle in the holder. The actually place to put the holder is simple enough but has little reason to be done.

If you like modern IF then this will not be the game for you as you will want it to go back to the 1980s. If, like me, you adore old school adventure games (with all their old school faults) then you could do no worse than give this game a try.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Richard Otter on 8 May 2019 at 12:41am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item