The Role of Music in Your Life

by Five Dials

What is it? It's a questionnaire. But don't ask too many questions. The subject is music. That's about all you need to know.

First Publication Date: March 9, 2016
TUID: i16cljrxsikrf1l9

Surprising, July 2, 2017
Had I not played this through to the end, I might have given it a two.

I got through it and from a technical standpoint I'd at best give it a three.

But given how it left me feeling afterward, it definitely gets a 4. Well done.

An anxious mother seeks a piano teacher, April 19, 2016
by verityvirtue (London)
The Role of Music in Your Life is, on first glance, an odd thing: a questionnaire? Seriously? Is this really IF?

The Role of Music in Your Life expands out into a dialogue-driven, minimal story about an anxious mother and her kid. The character development is handled deftly, especially when the kid in question speaks up, forming a good foil to his mother's perspective. Telling this story through just dialogue raised the possibility of an unreliable narrator, which gave a sinister edge to the mother's lines.

I was disappointed to find that, despite the choices, the story doesn't actually branch. It would have been satisfying, or at least fun, to see how different answers to the personality quiz-type questions affected how the mother treated the PC. Nonetheless, this minimal piece of CYOA has some very clever writing and a delicious use of unreliable narrator. I enjoyed it.

A survey game with a hook about childhood, August 1, 2017
This game starts out with you answering several survey questions about music and its role in your life.

Then it has a major shift, and ends up employing some interesting narrative techniques and text styling tricks to make some unusual points.

I like the trick, but I found it hard to pick choices that reflected the persona I wanted to put off.

If you enjoyed The Role of Music in Your Life...

People who like The Role of Music in Your Life also gave high ratings to these games:

Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle, by David Dyte, Steve Bernard, Dan Shiovitz, Iain Merrick, Liza Daly, John Cater, Ola Sverre Bauge, J. Robinson Wheeler, Jon Blask, Dan Schmidt, Stephen Granade, Rob Noyes, and Emily Short

What are you wearing?, by Von Django
You're about you leave on the big adventure! Remember to check your pockets first. Made for Porp's game jam. (300 words or less)

Ecdysis, by Peter Nepstad
You wake, a pounding headache loud in your inner ear, the back of your head itching and tingling, your mouth full of cotton. The pain drives away your dreams, weird visions of alien landscapes... Ecdysis is based on an entry in H.P....

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Brendan Patrick Hennessy on 11 March 2016 at 1:38pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item