Funeral for a Friend

by Porpentine profile

2011

A haunting delve into the nature of sorrow and loss in post-war Europe. Has been hailed as a "sweeping, elegiac piece told tautly by turns, tenderly by others" and "a rare glimpse, a symphonic vignette that perfectly encapsulates the austere heartbreak of the turn of the century".

Notes: Requires sound for audio cues. "dig" to use the shovel.

First Publication Date: November 24, 2011
TUID: i0nvu8gxg4s2w18o

Pick up The Phone Booth and Die mixed with Porpentine Pizza, February 3, 2016
This game is interesting; I recently read Porpentine saying that they made parser games at first, and people didn't like them, so she moved to Twine.

I think that Twine is a better format for these stories; this story is fun, but I love the complete refreshing of the screen, the colored text and background, and the pacing of Twine as elements of Porpentine's stories. This story is good, and it works, but I think that Twine was a smart move.

In this game, you have a shovel, and you have to dig. The game can be won in 15 moves or less. In its implementation and feel, it felt like Pick up the Phone Booth and Die.

Simulated mourning, August 28, 2015
by CMG (NYC)
Apparently there is a grave-digging sub-genre in interactive fiction. Or maybe it's just this game and Ryan Veeder's Dig My Grave. In any case, both games wear their monotonous premise on the sleeve: your object is to dig, therefore you dig.

At first glance, Funeral for a Friend seems like it would function just as well as a Twine game, and you can see when you play it why Porpentine did move on to Twine to write most of her other titles. That format works conceptually for the experiences she usually wants to deliver. But at the same time, I don't think Funeral for a Friend would quite work as well in Twine, because the more open-ended parser interface makes the action of grave-digging feel that much more restrictive when it's pretty much all you can do. The same holds true for Veeder's Dig My Grave.

This game feels like a precursor to ALL I WANT IS FOR ALL OF MY FRIENDS TO BECOME INSANELY POWERFUL. It's got that same dour minimalism finally giving way to something more alive as the game ends, although the handling is much more lightweight in Funeral for a Friend, since this game is essentially an extended joke.

Time-wise, it takes less than five minutes to play.

Funeral for a Friend on IFDB

Funeral for a Friend appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Silly/goofy/purposely bad games by MathBrush
These are games that are funny because they are ridiculous or completely absurd. This does not include games like Tex Bonaventure or Rogue of the Multiverse which have developed plot lines and long stretches of non absurdity.

Forgotten Treasures of IFDB by MathBrush
These are games that are great, either in my opinion or in many others, but which have been forgotten. By forgotten, I mean it satisfies the following: 1. Not an IfComp or XYZZY Best Game winner, 2. Not in Best 50 Interactive Fiction...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by CMG on 29 September 2017 at 9:36am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item