THEAPPR.GAM
THEAPPR.EXE

The Apprentice

by Saevar Benjaminsson profile

2006

A short text only fiction. Released earlier in 2006, but an incomplete version. This version is the completed one.
The plot is to find the holy grail and overcome various obstacles. It takes place in a surreal world of might and magic where not everything is as it seems.

Current Version: 2010
IFID: TADS2-959789C6D123FA7B450C8F967DF79A82
TUID: hxb9w8nsowgom8qw

Unexpected Fun, June 30, 2017
by Jonathan Blask (Milwaukee, WI, USA)
Few would accuse this game of having a great story. It's somewhat of a confusing hodgepodge of elements from preexisting games and movies (I, for one, am pretty over Monty Python references), but despite those things, I found this game an overall joy to play. Figuring out the world logic and its mechanics was very entertaining; there are things I could call red herrings but they're the kind that, for me, add a bit to the game's mystique.

After finishing the game, I went that further step and text dumped it just to see how much I had missed. For the most part, I had missed little except that at least one of the NPCs was more conversable than I had realized.

For the most part, I found the puzzles fair although a few instances of "guess the verb" came up.

This game might not have a memorable narrative, but as a distraction, it excels.

If you enjoyed The Apprentice...