jewel.z5

by Francesco Bova

Episode 1 of Jewel of Knowledge
Cave crawl
1999

"A somewhat traditional cave crawl." Possession of the long-lost Jewel of Knowledge is said to bring fame, wealth, power, and of course knowledge, but you'll have to beat the extraordinarily high mortality rate for adventurers. And the protectors of the Jewel, the ancient dragons of the sixth layer.
[--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

IFID: ZCODE-2-990710-F534
TUID: hu60gp1bgkhlo5yx

Followed by sequel Fort Aegea, by Francesco Bova

A seemingly stereotypical fantasy setup -- a quest to retrieve a jewel granting unlimited power from a dragon's lair -- is used as the backdrop to a rather more human story. After a first-move "puzzle" that's trickier than it was meant to be, the game moves into standard explore-the-cave territory, picking up again at the end when you fight the dragons. An interesting game with expansive, well-written text, if a bit emotionally manipulative at times.

-- R. Serena Wakefield

To be sure, it gives the player considerably more backstory than most of the seminal dungeon-crawl works, and your motivations are considerably more developed. But what really works here is what made the canonical dungeon crawls work, namely good puzzles and a well-described setting; the moments where the author tries to question the assumptions of those traditional dungeon crawls are far less effective.
-- Duncan Stevens

I may be a little biased here, since I was involved in the beta-testing, but I would thoroughly recommend this as a smashing little game to while away a few hours.
-- Karen Tyers

The Jewel of Knowledge on IFDB

The Jewel of Knowledge appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for November 2018 by David Welbourn
On Friday, November 23, 2018, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 23 November 2018 at 5:21am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item