Story File (release 3)

Sequitur

by Nigel Jayne (as Tin Foil Jenny) profile

Mystery

The only person who can explain what happened in a long-forgotten house with four dead people inside is comatose and clinging to her life in hospital.

Detective Stephen Cochone of the New Orleans Police Department needs to accurately reconstruct the chain of events by sequencing the video footage, sound recordings, and other vestiges of activity found at the site, leading him to a conclusion that could protect the lives of millions.

*** Sequitur contains adult-themed material (some violence and sexual innuendo), and it is not appropriate
for anyone who hasnít started high school. It also features a few sound effects and theme music, which
only work when the game is played offline on some interpreters (e.g., Gargoyle, WinGit, or WinGlulxe).***

First Publication Date: May 13, 2014

Release 3 August 8, 2015
Sequitur Release 2 August 17, 2014
Expand all | Add a news item

Unique, found footage crime-solving, July 10, 2019
Sequitur is a CSI tech game with a unique feel. You play as Detective Stephen Cochone, investigating several mysterious deaths that occurred at a supposedly abandoned house. Heís being taught how to use sequitur, a program created by quirky tech girl Jenny, as part of the investigation. The main use of the in-game program is to review written descriptions of found footage and sound recordings taken from the crime scene, and arrange them in chronological order.

Having this separate Ďprogramí as the main interface is itself pretty interesting. I did find it confusing at first because youíre hit with a lot of special commands and phrases upfront, which can be overwhelming. The game does provide you with in-game help, though, including the option to ask Jenny to order the sequences for you. While this may be too easy of a bypass, the player still has to view all the videos and come to their own conclusions.

What I enjoyed most, though, were the characters. We quickly get an idea of who they are, and I enjoyed the dialogue between Stephen and Jenny. I was pretty invested in them by the end and (Spoiler - click to show)really bummed that the endings donít give us any concrete details about what happens afterwards. I first played Sequitur a few years ago, and Iím still disappointed we donít find out what happens to Cochone! Even the best ending doesnít tell us.

The game also has custom responses to out-of-game commands, giving functions like save or restart in-game explanations, which I thought was a nice touch.

Overall, itís very well written and one of my favorite IF games.

If you enjoyed Sequitur...

People who like Sequitur also gave high ratings to these games:

Midnight. Swordfight., by Chandler Groover
A fool receives a challenge from a countess. Violence. Sex. Profanity. Sausage.

Fate, by Victor Gijsbers

Pogoman GO!, by Jack Welch and Ben Collins-Sussman
The world is full of Pogomen, and now that you donít have a job or family to worry about, you might as well get back to it!

The following polls include votes for Sequitur:

One Room Non-Escape Games by tggdan3
I'm looking for a one room game, where the purpose is NOT to escape that one room. (Eliminating games such as Enlightenment, Suveh Nux, 69,105 keys, etc). I'm not sure if there even ARE many such games, but I would be interested in...

For Your Consideration: Games from 2014 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

Games like Glowgrass by Timewalker
I'm looking for games like glowgrass which have a puzzle taking place in less than about five rooms, and also requiring common sense.

This is version 16 of this page, edited by NJ on 31 May 2017 at 4:14pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item