VMC10_073D.zip
Contains VMC10.exe
Type CLOAD & hit ENTER. Select TOWER.​C10 in the JimG subdirectory of the Cassette directory. Type RUN...
Windows Application (Windows XP and later) (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Tower of Mystery

by Gary McGath

1984

From COMPUTES!'s "Guide to Adventure Games" Tower of Mystery is a BASIC program designed to illustrate some of the concepts of adventure programming and to serve as a starting point for writing your own adventure programs. The object is to enter an old factory building where the world's only remaining copy of Adventure is reputed to be stored, and to leave with a tape containing a copy of the program.

License: Public Domain
Development System: BASIC
TUID: hfcsq16jz87pbjm1

Retro & cute, April 11, 2019
I played a Python 3 port of the original BASIC game. It's at { https://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/python/tower.py }. I counted 14 rooms. About 6 things to do (arguably "puzzles"), one of them had me stumped for a while. Can finish it in about an hour if you don't hurry.

I encountered two states in which the game was impossible to finish. I believe they were by design.

What's Not So Good:

- No plot. No NPCs.
- Super minimal, colorless room descriptions.
- 2-word parser.

What's Good:

+ Historical interest. (Decades ago, lots of people typed this in from a magazine & ran it.)
+ 2-word parser is adequate for this world.
+ Short & easy, for when you want to get your game on without taxin' yer noggin'.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by jgerrie on 19 November 2014 at 6:42pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item