Wretch.zip
Contains WretchItchioEmbed.html

Wretch!

by Josh Labelle profile

You awaken in a lab. Your head is filled with memories not wholly your own. The mysterious doctor regards you from the doorway.

Will you try to earn his favor?
Or escape his ramshackle house?

Can you make a friend and find a place in the world?
Or would you prefer to get impossibly drunk trying?

The story of a teenaged Frankenstein's monster who attends a raging party, Wretch! starts as a Mary Shelley novel, but ends as a John Hughes movie.

Writing, music, and design by Josh Labelle.

Art by Jonathan Harvey.

First Publication Date: October 30, 2018
License: Creative Commons
IFID: 282BB000-1ED6-44D5-B0D4-E3F14128591E
TUID: hamlos6s92pdkjjw

Entrant, Le Grand Guignol - EctoComp 2018

A long exploratory Twine game about a Frankenstein scenario, November 4, 2018
In this game, you play a patched-up person made up of different people's parts.

It comes in three acts, two of which are exploratory, and the third of which is mostly a coda.

In the first act, you explore the house of yourself and your master, spending several days or weeks in-game exploring, thinking, learning, and solving some puzzles.

In the second act, you have the chance to interact more with the real world.

The styling was nice here, with Harmonia-like spacing and margins. Options are greyed out to indicate places you should explore more.

This really worked well on a lot of levels. I found the exploration tedious at times, but I don't think that there's an easy fix, and the game is good as-is. My ending was touching.

If you enjoyed Wretch!...

People who like Wretch! also gave high ratings to these games:

Calliope, by Jason McIntosh

Recorded, by Nick Junius
Sometimes we lose the things most precious to us and must look for them in unlikely, or sometimes likely places. You have lost your voice and find yourself in a place you do not recognize with its own loss and lies.

The King of Shreds and Patches, by Jimmy Maher
January 14th Dear friend. My sojourn in parts foreign is at an ende. I am at lodgings in Southwark not far from the bridge at Stoney Street, come dine with me two days hence to ring in the newe year. I have not enjoyed amiable English...

Wretch! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games (All English Winners/Entries) by thecanvasrose

Favorite Horror Games by thecanvasrose
The horror IF that I most love and enjoy! (I generally prefer narrative over puzzles and scare-factor over narrative.) Ranked from least to most favorite. For a list of other horror games with good ratings, see my other horror games...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 16 November 2018 at 10:56pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item