Story file
This file is playable using the Quest interpreter for Windows.
Walkthrough and map
Verbose walkthrough and map by David Welbourn.

Jacqueline, Jungle Queen!

by Steph Cherrywell profile

Fantasy/Humor

You are Jacqueline McBean, modern woman for the Thirties and intrepid international correspondent for the Fresno Bee. The good news is that you're on your way to a plum assignment among the glitzy spires and glamorous nightclubs of beautiful Golanaland. The bad news is that the plane only makes it ninety-nine percent of the way to Gola City and that last one percent is a real doozy. Alone in the heart of the Golanese jungle and armed only with the powers granted by the ancient jungle shrines, can you learn the ways of the animals, wield torrential rains and searing heat, and become at last the mighty Jungle Queen?

Of course you can! You're a modern woman for the Thirties!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
Development System: Quest 5
TUID: h63kzv5acq9s7dak

Nominee, Best Puzzles - 2014 XYZZY Awards

3rd Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

Medium-sized Quest game with wonderful game mechanic and some parser problems, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This is my first Quest game; as such, it includes a map that you fill out as you explore, and lists all important objects in a room as well as your inventory at all times.

Besides the usual inventory, the game has a great additional mechanic that gives you an additional way to solve puzzles. This was fantastic, and I wanted to keep playing just to explore the mechanic.

The story was fun, but not especially motivating. The parser was terrible; so many obvious synonyms were not implemented that the game became a frustrating guess-the-verb game too frequently. However, the new mechanic was so fun that I kept playing anyway.

If you enjoyed Jacqueline, Jungle Queen!...

People who like Jacqueline, Jungle Queen! also gave high ratings to these games:

Victorian Detective, by Peter Carlson
You're a great detective living in Victorian London. Your internal monologue will guide you by clicking on links in the body of text as you investigate a seemingly average mugging. Your eidetic memory is represented by your ability to...

Mystery Fun House, by Scott Adams
As Adventure #7 begins, you find yourself hopelessly lost in the middle of a carnival fun house. While escape may elude you, one thing is very clear -- you're NOT here to have a good time! Converted from original code by Paul David...

A Change in the Weather, by Andrew Plotkin
"Walking away from a picnic, you are suddenly caught in a country storm. You must protect a bridge from being destroyed. An ultra-linear game." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Jacqueline, Jungle Queen! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

The following polls include votes for Jacqueline, Jungle Queen!:

Games with maps... by Xionix
I started playing Counterfeit Monkey, and I notice a good map is a way for us newbies to get into the game more easy. And I hate to draw so, are any other games that got a in-game map? It can be any genre.

Games where you can't screw up by Pinstripe
Sometimes, when I'm playing a game, I spend more time juggling my save files than I do reading the text. I don't want to have to restart because I picked up the green rod instead of the clay jug (with apologies to Zarf). So I'm looking...

games with female protagonists by X.W
and 16 years!

This is version 11 of this page, edited by Lance Campbell on 2 February 2020 at 12:48pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item