Story file
This file is playable using the Quest interpreter for Windows.
Walkthrough and map
Verbose walkthrough and map by David Welbourn.

Jacqueline, Jungle Queen!

by Steph Cherrywell profile

Fantasy/Humor

You are Jacqueline McBean, modern woman for the Thirties and intrepid international correspondent for the Fresno Bee. The good news is that you're on your way to a plum assignment among the glitzy spires and glamorous nightclubs of beautiful Golanaland. The bad news is that the plane only makes it ninety-nine percent of the way to Gola City and that last one percent is a real doozy. Alone in the heart of the Golanese jungle and armed only with the powers granted by the ancient jungle shrines, can you learn the ways of the animals, wield torrential rains and searing heat, and become at last the mighty Jungle Queen?

Of course you can! You're a modern woman for the Thirties!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
Development System: Quest 5
TUID: h63kzv5acq9s7dak

Nominee, Best Puzzles - 2014 XYZZY Awards

3rd Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

Medium-sized Quest game with wonderful game mechanic and some parser problems, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This is my first Quest game; as such, it includes a map that you fill out as you explore, and lists all important objects in a room as well as your inventory at all times.

Besides the usual inventory, the game has a great additional mechanic that gives you an additional way to solve puzzles. This was fantastic, and I wanted to keep playing just to explore the mechanic.

The story was fun, but not especially motivating. The parser was terrible; so many obvious synonyms were not implemented that the game became a frustrating guess-the-verb game too frequently. However, the new mechanic was so fun that I kept playing anyway.

If you enjoyed Jacqueline, Jungle Queen!...

People who like Jacqueline, Jungle Queen! also gave high ratings to these games:

Sparkle, by Juhana Leinonen (as Karly Di Caprio)
My search for the Pattern has brought me to Mount Shanshan. Now it's just a matter of a short cable car ride up to the top.

Insight, by Jon Ingold

Ailihphilia, by Andrew Schultz (as N. Y. Llewellyn)
No need for aibohphobia. It's polite on the Zarfian cruelty scale -and- will let you jump to the exciting conclusion if your 2-hour judging period is almost up!

Jacqueline, Jungle Queen! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

The following polls include votes for Jacqueline, Jungle Queen!:

games with female protagonists by X.W
and 16 years!

For Your Consideration: Games from 2014 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

Games with maps... by Xionix
I started playing Counterfeit Monkey, and I notice a good map is a way for us newbies to get into the game more easy. And I hate to draw so, are any other games that got a in-game map? It can be any genre.

This is version 10 of this page, edited by CMG on 5 October 2019 at 11:31pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item