Full version with sound. Type "music" to toggle the soundscape on or off.
Story File - No Sound
Story file for use with an interpreter.
Story File - With Sound
Story file for use with an interpreter. Includes the atmospheric soundscape.
ECTOCOMP 2010
Contains Renegade_Brainwave.taf
Original ECTOCOMP version, bundled with the other ECTOCOMP 2010 entries.
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Renegade Brainwave

by J. J. Guest profile

Humor
2010

"Beware! Beware! Take care! For you are about take part in an interactive story that will reveal the terrifying truth behind the mysterious Soviet space programme! Revelations of incredible horrors that will terrify you with their brutal reality!

For this is the story of a mysterious force — a force that has crossed the billion mile vastness of infinite space! Boneless, fleshless, almost invisible and yet imbued with incredible power — I speak to you of cosmic radiation!

The deadly solar radiation that has the power to raise the dead! The power to amplify brainwaves to many times their natural strength — so that even a weak little puppy could wipe out a city of concrete and steel — with the power of her mind!

In a future that grows ever closer, the fate of the Earth lies in the hands of one man. That man is Detective Frank Douglas — that man, my friend, is YOU!

God help us... in the future!"

Renegade Brainwave is an interactive fiction inspired by Hollywood B-Movies, based on my 2010 ECTOCOMP 2nd place winner. The 2019 version features more locations, more puzzles, and an atmospheric soundtrack featuring music by Monstrous Movie Music.

"Really fun writing, a spot-on, over-the-top, sci-fi B-movie spoof." - Duncan Bowsman, ECTOCOMP judge.

"Hilarious, well-written and full of clever puzzles to boot." - Mel Stefaniuk, ECTOCOMP judge.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2010
Development System: ADRIFT / Inform 7
IFIDs:  ADRIFT-400-92334E45DFB35C5FA0051E3529240D1B
0C3C1DBF-00F4-48A5-95BC-8670BBF9BAF7
TUID: h3ovvff22smlmmc

2nd Place - Ectocomp 2010

News

Expand all | Add a news item

ADRIFT Forum (Reviews are for the original ADRIFT version)
(reviews from ECTOCOMP 2010 judges)

If you enjoyed Renegade Brainwave...

People who like Renegade Brainwave also gave high ratings to these games:

An Earth Turning Slowly, by Mæja Stefánsson
She ran through her list of findings. “We’ve never had one quite like her. The diversity of simultaneous wounds, I mean, in a surviving specimen. There’s this long-standing hand-wave in paleopathology: we assume that multi-wound healing...

Draculaland, by Robin Johnson
A terse, comic horror puzzle game based loosely on Dracula, faithfully reimagining several characters and ignoring most of the original plot. Guide Jonathan Harker on a trip through Transylvania, interacting with vampires, mad...

Wrenlaw, by Ryan Veeder
It would be nice to know what you're looking for.

Renegade Brainwave appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games (All English Winners/Entries) by thecanvasrose

The following polls include votes for Renegade Brainwave:

Games with graphics and/or sound by eyesack
I couldn't find an easy way to search for this, so I figured I'd ask the hivemind: What games use graphics and/or sound to enhance the gameplay, similar to City of Secrets and Necrotic Drift?

"Camp" Games by Pinstripe
Games which have, or might be considered to have, a camp aesthetic or sense of humor. "Camp is a certain mode of aestheticism. It is one way of seeing the world as an aesthetic phenomenon. That way, the way of Camp, is not in terms of...

Games with NPCs that tag along by Ghalev
List here any games that feature a (preferably memorable!) "sidekick" character - an NPC who follows the viewpoint character around for most or all of the game, as per Floyd in Planetfall or Trent/Tiffany in Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

This is version 12 of this page, edited by J. J. Guest on 2 December 2019 at 12:17pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item