Zip containing all the game files
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

The Day I saved Elvis

by Marius Müller profile

Episode 5 of The Alex and Paul series
comedy horror
2011

"The Day I saved Elvis" is the fifth entry in the Alex and Paul series, and sees our heroes on the mysterious Voodoo Island.

First Publication Date: December 31, 2011
IFID: 857C0037-FAA5-4EA1-AF23-F3C2EB8B2513
TUID: gjvqzy2pjuwxru2

One of the weaker ones in the series so far, July 14, 2018
by Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway)
‘The Day I hugged Ghandi’ ended with an explicit sequel hook, and here’s the sequel. We follow Alex and Paul on their continuing adventures, this time on Voodoo Island. Paul gets kidnapped, and it’s up to you to rescue him.

As is usual for this series (and for Speed-IFs in general), this game is severely under-implemented. Almost none of the objects mentioned in the location descriptions are actually implemented (‘x object’ typically returns ‘You can’t see any such thing’), and there are lots of ‘guess the verb’ situations. One might have an idea about what to do, but the game only accepts one specific verb/syntax – and typically not the most obvious one. Some synonyms would have made the gameplay much smoother.

Luckily, there are less spelling and grammar mistakes than in the prequels. But still, the text could have used some more proof-reading. For example, at one point it mixes up the two main characters!

Along with The Day I stabbed Stalin, this is one of the weaker games in the serious so far. The puzzles aren’t very clever, too much action takes place in info dumps, and while the humour is still there, the game just isn’t as funny as the previous ones. And some of the humour is based on breaking the fourth wall, which IMHO distracts from the story.

Still, I sort of like the Alex and Paul series. And if you’ve played the previous games, you almost have to play this one too – if only because the previous game ended on such a cliffhanger. And this one too ends with a ‘To be continued…’.

If you enjoyed The Day I saved Elvis ...

Other members recommend these games for people who like The Day I saved Elvis , or gave both high ratings:

Cryptozookeeper, by Robb Sherwin
Marrow is delicious but that's not why you're here. You're supposed to pick up a single jar of alien bone jelly, which of course can't exist and doesn't exist, so you've convinced yourself that transporting it is no crime. Getting worked...

1958: Dancing With Fear, by Victor Ojuel
"Dancing with Fear" (1958, directed by Víctor Ojuel). In this forgotten classic of Golden Age Hollywood, a vedette fallen on hard times (Salomé Vélez) finds herself enmeshed in a tangle of political intrigue, romance and betrayal in a...

Nel mondo di Ayon, by Marco Vallarino
The fashion reporter Vincent Morgan is on the trail of the early works of the famous graffiti artist Ayon. To locate them, he has to explore the disreputable suburb where the artist grew up.

The following polls include votes for The Day I saved Elvis :

Mise-en-abîme by Sobol
Mise-en-abîme is a technique of having a play within a play, a painting within a painting, etc. Let's list those interactive stories where the characters play interactive stories.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Karl Ove Hufthammer on 14 July 2018 at 4:48am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item