sweetdreams.exe

by Papillon

2003

Development System: Delphi
TUID: gdsdsced60ci885x

20th Place - 9th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2003)

There were a couple of very satisfying puzzles, a couple of so-so ones, and a couple that just seemed arbitrary. The one I had the most difficult time with was one that exposes the limitations of graphical games -- it was relying on somewhat subtle color shading differences, and my laptop monitor wasn't making a clear enough distinction between them. The story was, of course, cute, and despite the rather cloying nature of the game as a whole, I ended up mostly enjoying it. Once it gets a bit more technical polish, and so long as you don't mind a very high sweetness level, Sweet Dreams will make an outstanding piece of amateur graphical IF.

It's cute, but is it IF?, November 7, 2017
by turthalion (Winnipeg)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2003
Without wanting to get into a huge debate over whether this is truly IF or not, I'll say right off the bat that I struggled to rate it.

Now that that's out of the way, I found it took far too long to walk anywhere on the map, the game was way too small on my screen and couldn't be resized, and I also hated dragging the mouse slowly over every inch of the background to figure out what was significant and what was not. This, for me, is the graphical equivalent of burying important items in the location description.

A frustrating and hard graphical adventure about dreams, July 16, 2017
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
This is a point and click adventure. I couldn't get past an ogre, and from reading reviews, I don't know anyone (except maybe one person) who actually beat it; there's an ogre that's hard to get past.

You wander around a girl's boarding school at night before discovering an unsavory conspiracy involving scientific experiments on dreams.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Nathan on 20 October 2015 at 10:04pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item