Requires an ADRIFT version 5 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

The Call of the Shaman

by Larry Horsfield

Episode 6 of The Adventures of Alaric Blackmoon

Your bride-to-be, Princess Bronwynn, has been poisoned in a botched assassination attempt. The poison is a very rare one and you must travel to a far land to find the Shaman who is the only person who might know how to make the antidote.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
Development System: ADRIFT
TUID: firr7ovgimu4g65m

72nd Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

The latest in an epic series of Adrift games. Travel to colonial America., October 13, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
I've seen the Alaric Blackmoon series suggested to me on IFDB for years, but never tried one of the games.

There are six or more in the series, and they involve a valiant warrior in Europe in the times of swords and armor.

In this game, you travel to America to encounter a Native American shaman.

I'd love to talk more about the game, but I encountered a game-destroying bug. A thief comes into town, and you chase him out. When I killed him, he kept appearing anyway, and so I was periodically kicked out of town and could not reach the trading post.

I'd love to update my review if this bug were fixed!

Edit: There is an updated version that fixed that bug, and I had fun exploring the town. I added another star to the review. I got stuck again, because I couldn't find Henrik, but I'll keep trying!

If you enjoyed The Call of the Shaman...

People who like The Call of the Shaman also gave high ratings to these games:

Illuminismo Iniziato, by Michael J. Coyne
Lovingly handcrafted in Inform6, this overripe sequel to Risorgimento Represso is full of cheese, gunpowder, chemistry and explosions (well, only a little chemistry). Includes automap, sounds and graphical newspaper.

Pegasus, by Michael Kielstra
Pegasus: the best friend of a democracy and the worst enemy of a dictator. Their Agents safeguard the liberty of the people around the world. Trained by and armed with the best humanity has to offer, they would love to see themselves as...

The Milgram Parable, by Peter Eastman
Your job is simple: do whatever you are told, without question or hesitation. If you don't, people will die. Probably including you.

The Call of the Shaman appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best of ADRIFT 5 by Denk
The following games are in my opinion the best ADRIFT 5 games. The games I like most have been given the highest position, except for Larry Horsfield's games, which would have taken all places in top 5, if I had not distributed them...

The following polls include votes for The Call of the Shaman:

Best of ADRIFT 5 by Bainespal
I set up the Linux version of ADRIFT 5 on my Mint 16 system. I even ripped the icon from the Windows version, as documented in this thread. Software support for Mint 16 is ending after this month. Before I have to configure my system all...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Denk on 22 November 2019 at 2:56am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item