Requires an ADRIFT version 5 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

The Call of the Shaman

by Larry Horsfield

Episode 6 of The Adventures of Alaric Blackmoon

Your bride-to-be, Princess Bronwynn, has been poisoned in a botched assassination attempt. The poison is a very rare one and you must travel to a far land to find the Shaman who is the only person who might know how to make the antidote.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
Development System: ADRIFT
TUID: firr7ovgimu4g65m

2nd Place - 2019 ADRIFT Game of the Year Award

72nd Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

The latest in an epic series of Adrift games. Travel to colonial America., October 13, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
I've seen the Alaric Blackmoon series suggested to me on IFDB for years, but never tried one of the games.

There are six or more in the series, and they involve a valiant warrior in Europe in the times of swords and armor.

In this game, you travel to America to encounter a Native American shaman.

I'd love to talk more about the game, but I encountered a game-destroying bug. A thief comes into town, and you chase him out. When I killed him, he kept appearing anyway, and so I was periodically kicked out of town and could not reach the trading post.

I'd love to update my review if this bug were fixed!

Edit: There is an updated version that fixed that bug, and I had fun exploring the town. I added another star to the review. I got stuck again, because I couldn't find Henrik, but I'll keep trying!

If you enjoyed The Call of the Shaman...

People who like The Call of the Shaman also gave high ratings to these games:

Within a circle of water and sand, by Romain
A tropical archipelago with countless islands, a young woman on a quest with no clear goal, a strange tribe living on an isolated atoll, a race... Is your journey merely beginning or is it already about to end?

Edgar's Adventures, by Frank Kunze
You are about to play a few days in the life of Edgar E. Blevins. One night, as Edgar was walking home from his job at a local 7-11, he was suddenly surrounded by a strange blue light and a thick green steam. When it all cleared, Edgar...

The Axe of Kolt, by Larry Horsfield
You are Alaric Blackmoon, a penniless ex-mercenary soldier, reduced to wandering the land and doing odd-jobs in return for food and a place to sleep. You have just left the town of Greenwych and you have hitched a ride on a haywain. The...

The Call of the Shaman appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best of ADRIFT 5 by Denk
The following games are in my opinion the best ADRIFT 5 games. The games I like most have been given the highest position, except for Larry Horsfield's games, which would have taken all places in top 5, if I had not distributed them...

The following polls include votes for The Call of the Shaman:

Low-rated games worth playing by diddlescatter
Looking for games that may have gotten poor reviews but are still memorable and worth playing for the story.

Best of ADRIFT 5 by Bainespal
I set up the Linux version of ADRIFT 5 on my Mint 16 system. I even ripped the icon from the Windows version, as documented in this thread. Software support for Mint 16 is ending after this month. Before I have to configure my system all...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Denk on 22 November 2019 at 2:56am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item