Current version (itch.io)
External link to itch.​io. Post-comp release, updated.
Original IFcomp 2018 version

The Master of the Land

by Pseudavid profile

> An interactive fiction intrigue in an immersive and dynamic world.

A world that changes with every action. Freedom to explore. Radically different playthroughs. Lots of dancing. People wearing skulls.

> A rich story with multiple plots

A historical fantasy set in the early 19th century Mediterranean, The Master of the Land deals with power and paranoia in an age of counter-revolutionary reaction: the aftermath of the Napoleonic wars. During a carnival, dancers dance, politicians conspire and a crying ghost haunts the whole place. The protagonist, Irene, is fascinated and appalled at the same time by everything happening around her.

> A dynamic game world, rendered in text

Text is mixed and combined to show a changing place, with many characters moving around, weather, different events -balls, dinners, ceremonies- and interlocking storylines. With more than 80 thousand words and more than ten major plots, each playthrough shows only a fraction of the possibilities.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
TUID: fguprb9bwjxo4gu4

6th Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

McT's Interactive Fiction Reviews

Iíve never seen anything quite like this. It really takes choice based implementations to that next level. It creates a seemingly dynamic world, gives the player complete agency within that world and then says Ďgoí. It is an important game, this.

Heterogeneous Tasks

This is an odd and audacious thing. There is a great deal going on here; itís a story about the personal and the political, about the failures of liberal politics. I like a lot of the things itís aiming for, and sometimes it hits them. At the same time, itís got its share of problems.

The Breakfast Review
Rather intriguingly, the game is set up with a freely explorable map and a choice interface. With so much going on, we never go far before finding something to catch our interest as we explore. It's really quite fascinating and immersive.

IFcomprehensive

The player has much more freedom than in most choice-based games, and the world is more believable as a result; playing the game truly feels like interacting with an environment, rather than walking along a decision tree. The options at a given location depend on the characterís quests, the in-game time, and the characters around the ball. The game is filled with meaningful interactivity, yet the choices available are always clear and well-defined.

If you enjoyed The Master of the Land...