The Tunnel

by Natalia Theodoridou

Travel

She will never lie to you.

A young couple on a train journey across Europe enter a tunnel that is much longer than they thought.

First Publication Date: December 6, 2016
TUID: ennqo8z5hslwhyqo

Orestes Drunk and Pylades Fasting
The horror in The Tunnel is translucent metaphor: (Spoiler - click to show)being trapped within an endless tunnel (which is not much of a spoiler), while indeed claustrophobic in a literal sense, also involves the claustrophobia of Katrina and Gregory’s relationship, and even more so, of being in Katrina’s head, the suffocating limitations of perspective.

A slick, moody hyperlink game with sound and graphics on a train, August 15, 2017
This is a SubQ magazine game that has a pleasing atmosphere. It has graphics and background noise.

You are on a train with your significant other. It's going through a long tunnel. There are a few other people on the train. It's a moody and introspective piece.

I could go into more detail, but playing the game does not take much longer than reading this review, so why not just try it?

Tunnel Vision, December 12, 2016
by J. J. Guest (London, England)
The Tunnel comes across as an intensely personal meditation on the subject of depression. It's intriguing, but the closed off demeanor of the protagonist means that the other characters in the narrative remain more or less ciphers, and though we are invited to fill in the blanks from our own imagination, we're not given much incentive to do so. As a player, there isn't a lot to do, and my feeling is that this story would have worked just as well as static fiction. The multimedia effects add interest but the text sometimes faded off slightly too quickly forcing me to refresh the page in order to finish reading.

If you enjoyed The Tunnel...

People who like The Tunnel also gave high ratings to these games:

To The Wolves, by Els White
Offered up as sacrifice to the wolf-gods of the forest, hunted by beasts and man alike, Ella must find a way to survive.

Death off the Cuff, by Simon Christiansen
They all stare at you expectantly, like children waiting to be told a bedtime story. Who can blame them? You are, after all, Antoine Saint Germain, the great French detective. No criminal has ever been a match for you, and everybody is...

The Lost Islands of Alabaz, by Michael Gentry
Once upon a time, our Kingdom was much larger than it is now, reaching across all ten islands of the Alabaz Archipelago. But then a terrible curse fell upon us. A thick, gray mist covered the sea, hiding each island from the others,...

The Tunnel appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Surreal games on trains by MathBrush
There is an unusually large amount of surreal games on trains (maybe from the Dark Tower?). Here are the ones I can find.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 11 December 2016 at 5:41pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item