The Light: Shelby's Addendum

by Colm McCarthy

Part of Quest Adventure
1995

- Cory Roush (Ohio), August 2, 2017

An early hit that was later forgotten. Huge lab/lighthouse exploration game., February 3, 2016

This long sci-fi game was nominated for the very first XYZZY award for Best Game in 1996. It is a sequel to former games, as far as I can tell.

This game seems to have been forgotten, with only 3 ratings and no reviews on IFDB. It is a very large game, about as long as Spellbreaker.

The plot concerns a young apprentice scientist who isn't doing as good as they should working on scientific research working in a slightly different universe (with a sort of C. E. J. Pacian feel). Many things show up here before other games; you explore a complicated set of labs the year before Babel came out, and you explore a creepy lighthouse two years before Anchorhead.

The tone is mildly dark and mildly humorous. Some parts of the game near the end are pretty silly. I still don't understand (Spoiler - click to show)the transvestite squid and the yellow submarine full of blue rodents. I have no idea why the tone changed so much there.

This is an old-school game, where they were still incorporating Infocom tricks like search-everywhere puzzles and hidden timers that were only designed to increase the length of small-size games. In a large game like this, it is frankly unfair. Many of the puzzles have difficult solutions, and many items are under-implemented.

I loved the story, as much as I understood it. I just took a walkthrough and ran with it.

- Nikos Chantziaras (Greece), June 4, 2010

- Mastodon, March 26, 2009

- Martin Braun (Berlin, Germany), November 25, 2008

A tense and gripping story set in and around an old lighthouse converted into a scientific research station. People vanish before your eyes, reality unravels at the edges, and through it all the storm approaches. Lots of description. Good building of drama and mystery, except for some mood-breaking silly bits in the second half. Has a mixture of mechanical and information-gathering puzzles, with a rather short time limit (given the richness of the environment) for a crucial early puzzle.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt