Story file and source code
Contains city-of-dead-leaves.a3c
For all systems. To play, you'll need an Alan Interpreter for your system - visit the Alan home page for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

City of Dead Leaves

by Felix Pleşoianu profile

Surreal

There's nothing left in your life. There's nothing left in anyone's life. Will he even remember you after all this time? Will he want you back?

City of Dead Leaves is a story told to me by a place that I saw in a dream. As such it's a very personal thing; hopefully you'll find it worth your time. It's not a puzzle game, though it has puzzles; it's not a story game either, though it has a story. It's about cities, and futures, and feelings. About us.

First Publication Date: May 20, 2016

A small, belated update August 19, 2019
Texture edition released November 16, 2016
Expand all | Add a news item

Short, mysterious and poetic, August 16, 2019
by Stephane F. (Nancy, France)
The introduction and the rest of the story refers to a mysterious "him" that you have supposedly (Spoiler - click to show)abandoned because of a "year-long quest".

The strange little "town-with-twisty-streets-and-tilting-houses"(to quote Thomas Ligotti's "Degenerate little town") is a good old cliché, but it works well here and the general ambiance is as poetic as melancholic. We don't know what happened to the world, which seems pretty quiet and harmless for a post-apocalyptic (maybe) setting.

You don't really know where you are and why, so the purposeless exploration feels like a dream - and in fact the game is the adaptation of a dream the author had. The end of the game (Spoiler - click to show)is pretty cryptic and nothing gets really explained. I couldn't say if that's frustrating or satisfying.

Technical remarks:
(Spoiler - click to show)
I noticed only one typo : "smal bookshelf".

There is a probable bug : once you are in the old house, you can't go back from the kitchen to the street. The link goes to the dark corridor.

Map painting, August 18, 2019
by f-a
The game lures you in with the incipit of a story, but is essentially a place description: the complex really feels alive (or dead), vivid and part of a bigger narrative.

OK experiment in "map painting" ("location narrative"?), plot itself is not satisfying/fulfilling.

It is quite short so I recommend playing it!

If you enjoyed City of Dead Leaves...