Superhero Stress

by Michael Yadvish

Being a Superhero in New York City is the most stressful job there is. Do YOU have what it takes to survive the day?

First Publication Date: April 6, 2016
TUID: ee14foypal6p2mn3

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2016

Christopher Huang
There’s not a lot going for the game here. What it does have going for it is a trace of attitude. It’s not exactly mature, not yet, but I can see it growing into something more, given time. The author does get us comfortably into the mindset of our hero with the casual, somewhat sarcastic tone of the prose–acknowledging as well that our hero has his little flaws. This isn’t enough to carry the game or the story, however.

Narrativium
The short, punchy sentences and dripping sarcasm give the impression that the author is auditioning to be part of Clickhole's "Clickventures" comedy team - something like "You Just Got A Sword For Your Birthday, Time To Go Fight Crime!" - and initial impressions are promising. This sentence gives an idea of the tone: "Evil is around every corner and can strike at any time... A Hero needs to stay alert and thank God for 5-hour Energy!". Its funny. But not funny enough. Superhero Stress is flat and unoriginal in its current incarnation. Humorous takes on the superhero genre are ten-a-penny these days so it really needed something distinctive to stand out from the crowd. I, unfortunately, couldn't find it in the brief time I spent with it.

A short, superhero twine game with 3 or 4 branches and some moral choices, April 6, 2016
Related reviews: Spring Thing 2016
This is a short superhero game written in Twine. Each screen has one to two choices about your actions as a superhero. Save many, or save one? Conserve strength or use your energy?

The game lasts about a dozen or twenty moves. The presentation is minimalist blue on black. The names of the villains made me laugh, but overall I feel the game could be fleshed out more.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 5 May 2016 at 12:23am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item