Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

Foo Foo

by Buster Hudson profile

Mystery

Someone's been bopping the field mice on the head, and only Good Fairy, Senior Detective can find out who.

A parser-driven noir adventure based on the interactive fiction of Ryan Veeder.

First Publication Date: April 6, 2016
TUID: ec6x9y8qcmsrxob9

Nominee, Best Game; Winner, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Winner, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Nominee, Best Individual PC - 2016 XYZZY Awards

1st Place - First Quadrennial Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction

46th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2019 edition)

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2016

Foo Foo: cuddly genius, October 7, 2020
This is a serious 9/10 -- 10/10 game.

Some isolated thoughts:

I don't know if I can get enough of the concept of small cuddly stuffed animals being embroiled in a hardboiled noir story. A few of my favorite quotes for the sake of cuteness (minor spoilers):

(Spoiler - click to show)Lions, tigers, and bears, all beautifully crafted, lifelike. Malice flashes in their beady plastic eyes. They reach into their own stuffing and withdraw a handgun each.

(Spoiler - click to show)
You hold Doohickey up in front of your face and get licked softly and dryly, because his tongue is made of felt.
>pet doohickey
Doohickey wags his tail.

The worldbuilding is great, the action is thrilling, the twists are spectacular, and the ending broke my heart a little bit.

My only complaint is (major spoiler) (Spoiler - click to show)when Sabado tells you to get anything "with wish powder on it" out of the area, I thought he was referring to any stuffed animals that were still 'alive', and so didn't realize that he was also referring to the pouch of wish powder. Other than that, everything's quite clear and well-laid-out.

Delightful and well crafted, March 7, 2018
This was a great pleasure to play.
The narrative was witty and entertaining; the locations were nicely set out with not too much to-ing and fro-ing; the puzzles weren't particularly difficult but none-the-less kept me playing.
The npc characterisations were good and although very limited in interactivity, presented enough variety in the responses not to come across as 'token'.
As a small gripe, the 'easy-exit' presented at the beginning seemed unnecessary - with this available, I would perhaps have preferred a form of score so you would know how you did when exiting.

I definitely recommended this.

Sharp-witted noir under a fluffy covering, March 30, 2018
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: sanguine
If you like Jasper Ffordeís Jack Sprat series, a novel series giving a noir spin to nursery rhymes, youíll probably enjoy this. All the field mice have been leaving town; someoneís been bopping heads - and itís up to you, Fairy Detective, to find out why.

Hudsonís writing is extremely readable, and while the characters may be talking fluffy animals, there is sharpness underneath. The forces working in the town are the familiar push and pull of racism and the search for better opportunities, anthropomorphism or not.

Foo Foo is directed enough that I could figure most things out with just a little guidance and some in-game hints. Overall a well-written murder mystery, with an intriguing setting that I enjoyed.

If you enjoyed Foo Foo...

People who like Foo Foo also gave high ratings to these games:

Skull-Scraper, by chandler groover
"Scrape into a skull." Made for the Tiny Utopias Jam.

The Prongleman Job, by Arthur DiBianca
Break into Prongleman's house and steal a few valuables. Try and finish before he gets home. The Thieves' Society is counting on you.

The Yawhg, by Damian Sommer and Emily Carroll
The Yawhg will be here in six weeks... and no one expects it. Not a one of us. We just keep on living our lives, week by week, unaware... The Yawhg is a one- to four-player choose-your-own-adventure game that randomizes a unique story...

Foo Foo appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best fairytale/nursery rhyme games by MathBrush
A selection of fairy tale games, nursery rhyme games, or games involving the Fair Folk.

Detective and mystery games by MathBrush
These are games where you play a detective or someone else investigating a mystery. Most of them are realistic games which I am splitting off of my realistic list. Some are more magical or science fi-ish.

Favorites (well-built) by Xuan Li

The following polls include votes for Foo Foo:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible NPCs of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best NPCs in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Writing of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Writing in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Games of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Game in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Lance Campbell on 17 May 2020 at 8:52pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item