Redstone

by Fred

Redstone is a parser/choice hybrid designed for desktop and mobile browsers.

Playtesters: George Haley, Javri, Brian Rushton, and JKJ Yuio

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
Development System: Custom
TUID: dx28tbu39njmk6fn

33rd Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

A well-done parser hybrid mystery with graphics, November 16, 2017
This game has you explore a reservation-based casino to try and uncover the truth behind a murder.

It implements a blackjack game, and uses graphics and a hand-made parser hybrid engine.

The primary portion of the game is investigating a few suspects by interviewing them, examining their items, and talking to those who have seen them.

However, I never felt strongly emotionally invested in the game. I did feel interested while playing, though.

A functional murder mystery , October 19, 2017
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: phlegmatic
From the blurb: ďA VIP's been murdered at the reservation casino. As the deputy on call, it's up to you to find the killer. You have until morning before the FBI turns up the heat.Ē

This murder mystery takes the form of a parser-choice hybrid, with an interface reminiscent of Robin Johnsonís Detectiveland. Settings are individually illustrated, and the system is more or less robust, with a separate conversation mode. It may not look the slickest of interfaces - it recalls, vaguely, flash web games with a touch of homebrew about it.

The stakes are not always made clear: there are hints about this being troublesome because itís on reservation land, and about FBI involvement, but these hints never added any tension to gameplay.

I would have liked a little more flair, a little more panache in the descriptions, but overall this is a mystery which does whatís expected of it.

If you enjoyed Redstone...

People who like Redstone also gave high ratings to these games:

Absence of Law, by mathbrush
Excuse me, can you help me? Yes, you, browsing IFDB games! I need your assistance, but I don't have long. There's so much going on: remote surveillance, unauthorized cloning, forgotten languages, robots playing poker. It's time to take...

Violet, by Jeremy Freese
Calm down. All you have to do is write a thousand words and everything will be fine. And you have all day, except it's already noon. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

Queers in Love at the End of the World, by Anna Anthropy

Redstone appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Detective and mystery games by MathBrush
These are games where you play a detective or someone else investigating a mystery. Most of them are realistic games which I am splitting off of my realistic list. Some are more magical or science fi-ish.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by DashT on 4 February 2018 at 7:10pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item