You've Got a Stew Going!

Previous | << 1 2 >> | Next | Show All

- mishz132, August 4, 2020

- E.K., March 14, 2020

A Ryan Veeder Gameunculus, February 22, 2020
by Lance Campbell (United States)
Okay, I made up the portmanteau "gameunculus" for the title, but it gets results in a Google search so it must be real.

You've Got a Stew Going! is Ryan Veeder's first published game. It is a simpler, smaller adventure that contains the essential ingredients recognizable in all of his IF works: good storycraft and characters, clever writing, a good sense of humor, a detailed implementation, and a focus on a positive and fun player experience. I had a great time playing it and I look forward to trying out more of Ryan's games.

If anyone is interested in an augmented experience while playing this game, Ryan made a PodCast called Clash of the Type-ins where he narrates games and gives insights on the authoring process for his games. You've Got a Stew Going! is featured in Episode One. If you want to avoid spoilers, you probably will want to play the game prior to listening to the episode.

- ImaginaryTalkingRabbit, October 2, 2019

- Denk, April 25, 2019

- Edward Lacey (Oxford, England), April 1, 2018

- Catalina, October 22, 2017

- xochie, September 23, 2017

- Audiart (Davis, CA), November 3, 2016

- nosferatu, July 3, 2016

A shortish parser game about two rats making a stew., June 9, 2016
In this relatively short parser game, you play as a rat helping to make a stew.

This game has a small map with several interesting NPCs. The goals are pretty easy tonaccpmplish, although some parts got me stuck for a bit.

This is a good, light game when you're in the mood for something quick and not too frustrating.

- Sobol (Russia), April 26, 2016

- francisthe3rd (Horseheads, NY), January 23, 2014

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), February 28, 2013

- QotC, November 19, 2012

You don't have to be a hero (RR #11), November 19, 2012
Some games put you in the role of a shining knight, rescuing princesses and kingdoms, defeating evil forces and powerful monsters. And in some games you're just a dirty, smelling rat. The latter is the case in You've got a Stew going by Ryan Veeder.

On your quest for ingredients to put in the namesake stew, you explore a small set of tunnels and openings to the surface. There are a few NPCs that can be interacted with, but conversation isn't too important or interesting. (Spoiler - click to show)I was trying my best to woo Fran, the female rat, but to no avail. There are some funny custom responses, but also some meta-references I could have done without. Puzzles are solvable though I would have wished for a less mono-dimensional way of solving some of them. (Spoiler - click to show)(e.g. the one with the girl.) Even after trying quite a few things I couldn't get the optional sixth point.

I like happy little games like this one, motivating the player by being humourous and giving him a concrete goal and solveable, logical puzzles.
In the case of You've got a Stew going, the game is very playable though on the short side and amongst aforementioned details lacking some more items to use, so I give it a pretty good

5/10

- Molly (USA), July 28, 2012

Nice little game., May 20, 2012
A small but clever little game, where you are a mouse who needs to find ingredients for a stew. A kind of scavenger hunt.

Nice attention to detail and well polished. Nice humor and I loved the 9:05 reference.

The game is pretty easy. 6/6 here. To score one of the points, you have to be kind of cruel.

I got a big kick out of the dark humor and the slightly cruel edge to the game. Twisted, but in a very good way.

Short and Fun, May 1, 2012
I found this game fun and humorous. The object is to find enough food for your stew to make your stew a stew. It was also short which is why I liked it.

- Ruth A, April 14, 2012