You've Got a Stew Going!

- xochie, September 23, 2017

- Audiart (Davis, CA), November 3, 2016

- nosferatu, July 3, 2016

A shortish parser game about two rats making a stew., June 9, 2016

In this relatively short parser game, you play as a rat helping to make a stew.

This game has a small map with several interesting NPCs. The goals are pretty easy tonaccpmplish, although some parts got me stuck for a bit.

This is a good, light game when you're in the mood for something quick and not too frustrating.

- Sobol (Russia), April 26, 2016

- francisthe3rd (Horseheads, NY), January 23, 2014

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), February 28, 2013

- QotC, November 19, 2012

You don't have to be a hero (RR #11), November 19, 2012
Some games put you in the role of a shining knight, rescuing princesses and kingdoms, defeating evil forces and powerful monsters. And in some games you're just a dirty, smelling rat. The latter is the case in You've got a Stew going by Ryan Veeder.

On your quest for ingredients to put in the namesake stew, you explore a small set of tunnels and openings to the surface. There are a few NPCs that can be interacted with, but conversation isn't too important or interesting. (Spoiler - click to show)I was trying my best to woo Fran, the female rat, but to no avail. There are some funny custom responses, but also some meta-references I could have done without. Puzzles are solvable though I would have wished for a less mono-dimensional way of solving some of them. (Spoiler - click to show)(e.g. the one with the girl.) Even after trying quite a few things I couldn't get the optional sixth point.

I like happy little games like this one, motivating the player by being humourous and giving him a concrete goal and solveable, logical puzzles.
In the case of You've got a Stew going, the game is very playable though on the short side and amongst aforementioned details lacking some more items to use, so I give it a pretty good

5/10

- Molly (USA), July 28, 2012

Nice little game., May 20, 2012
A small but clever little game, where you are a mouse who needs to find ingredients for a stew. A kind of scavenger hunt.

Nice attention to detail and well polished. Nice humor and I loved the 9:05 reference.

The game is pretty easy. 6/6 here. To score one of the points, you have to be kind of cruel.

I got a big kick out of the dark humor and the slightly cruel edge to the game. Twisted, but in a very good way.

Short and Fun, May 1, 2012
I found this game fun and humorous. The object is to find enough food for your stew to make your stew a stew. It was also short which is why I liked it.

- Ruth A, April 14, 2012

- Meredith (California), December 4, 2011

- ifwizz (Berlin, Germany), December 3, 2011

Fun, but curious, December 3, 2011
by katz (Altadena, California)
Even accounting for the elusive last point, this is still an extremely short, simple game. I kept encountering situations where I expected the game to be more complex and was surprised when it wasn't: the locked gate, for instance.

This is doubly odd because the details of this world are so intriguing. In contrast to the standard animal's-view focus on describing normal human things from an animal's perspective, Veeder has developed a creative rat world that hints at underlying complexity--and yet, these details are never really needed within the game. I'd like to see more rat world and get a chance to put some of this information to work.

I'd also like to see some technical improvement: the clever responses in this game are still outweighed by stock answers, more items could be implemented, and there are a few spelling and grammar errors. Overall though, particularly given its length, it's a fun game.

- perching path (near Philadelphia, PA, US), October 7, 2011