Mountain.zip
Contains Mountain.z5
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Mountain

by Benjamin Penney

Slice of life
2003

Baf's Guide ID: 2043
IFID: ZCODE-6-030317-2973
TUID: dkh9krjsk9towj5v

You are climbing a mountain with your trusty sidekick, and may choose various paths and attempt to overcome obstacles on the way to the top. A fairly brief and trivial game, but with a number of optional discoveries, which means that it's worth replaying a few times to see what you missed. The humor felt a little overplayed to me, but this is a matter of taste. Implementation is fairly sketchy.

-- Emily Short

Implementation is sparse, perhaps intentionally so. True to the promise in the help text, the game is very arbitrary. [...] As I noticed these things, I kept thinking "Well, that's excusable, because this is a parody of That Sort of Game". As the list grew, though, I began to wonder: wouldn't this be better if the game laughed at these flaws along with me, instead of just actually containing them and expecting the humor to come from that? I disliked games like this back in the day, so why should it be inherently funny to play one now?
-- R. N. Dominick

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 22 June 2013 at 5:56am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item