Seedship

by John Ayliff profile

An AI ship full of frozen colonists must find the best planet to be the new home of the human race.

First Publication Date: March 25, 2017
Current Version: 1.3.1
License: Free
TUID: d8vc24jntql44fe

Nominee, Best Implementation - 2017 XYZZY Awards

Bah, beat me to it!, January 14, 2021
by End Master (The Outer Reaches Of Your Mind)
Ever have a great idea only to find out itís been done already? Well thatís Seedship for me.

I once had a concept to do a CYOA very similar to Seedship, but ended up putting it on the back burner to work on other projects. Honestly not sure if I ever would have gotten around to it given my backlog of story ideas, but when I randomly discovered Seedship one day and played through it multiple times I was like ďWell I guess I can focus on other projects.Ē

Yet at the same time my idea of the story of an AI controlling a space ark would have been very different (Specifically very story driven as far as choice and not stat based), and it isnít like itís a brand new concept entirely. (Indeed I got my idea originally from various movies Iíve watched) So who knows I may return to the concept of a Space Ark CYOA one day.

For now though, we have Seedship. And I really enjoyed this game.

The different random events and planets give it a lot of replay value. While this one is definitely a bit more on the technical side with the stats taking center stage, for me there is enough ongoing ďstoryĒ there to keep me more engaged. (Unlike say Suspended). Plus I also like to see outcomes of less than optimal runs. Seeing the remains of the human race colonize a new planet only to blow it all up and exist in a post apocalyptic hell world is always amusing.

Probably the only disappointment I have is you lose points if you encounter another alien race and you end up genociding or enslaving them. Why? As the AI your main goal was to ensure the survival of the human race, xeno lives donít matter. Iím guessing the game though was encouraging more of a Star Trek society rather than a Warhammer 40K one.

Despite that one glaring issue, itís definitely one Iíll go back to every now and then.

Very fun space colony simulation, March 29, 2017
This twine piece uses extensive procedural generation to simulate the experience of an AI selecting a planet for the iced human colonists aboard.

The UI really shines: a sidebar lists important data with healthy values in green, and each planet appears with a list of variables that make it suitable or inhospitable to human colonization.

Some planets have anomalies, and randomized events are encountered between planets. These typically give you a binary choice between a known penalty or reward and an unknown penalty or reward. The planets may have random features that can be useful to investigate up close, with a consumable probe.

The prose isn't always world-class, but this is a strong piece highlighting some great uses of procedural generation. Highly recommended.

Enjoy an epic sci-fi journey while waiting for the bus., June 28, 2019
by Damon L. Wakes (Winchester, UK)
Related reviews: Twine, short games, sci-fi, space
Seedship is one of those rare games where every little choice you make adds up to one great big one. On the surface, playing as the AI governing a vast interstellar colony ship, you visit a series of planets and decide at each stop along the way whether to end your journey and make that place a home, or press on to the next one in the hopes it might be better. When you land, you'll be treated to a little story about how your colonists fare in the place you've chosen for them. So far, so simple.

The problem with this process is that the ship deteriorates gradually over time. If holding out for the ideal planet means smashing into it with no landing gear and half the scientific database erased, then it may well have been wiser to settle on a less hospitable world while you were better equipped to rebuild.

Despite the apocalyptic premise and the vast scale of the journey involved, Seedship takes nearly no time at all to play. Some of the most interesting outcomes are those where you choose to settle on a hostile planet while you still have enough technology to cope with the conditions, though if you prefer to aim for the highest possible score then you'll likely spend much longer trying for that perfect planet.

If you enjoyed Seedship...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Seedship, or gave both high ratings:

Homecoming, by Carolyn VanEseltine
"Homecoming" is a short, twisted comedy about a newly awakened AI.

Being Andrew Plotkin, by J. Robinson Wheeler
"Zarf? you think to yourself. Could it be? The one and only Zarf? Xyzzy Award winner? IF Competition winner? The mighty Inscruitable One? Gosh. What it must be like to be Zarf... You begin to crawl forward, the tunnel floor oozing and...

Time Passed, by Davis G. See
All these years later and I still think about you. A game about memory and middle school.

Seedship appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Felicity Drake's favorite interactive fiction by Felicity Drake
Personal favorites!

Great games set in space by MathBrush
My list for best sci-fi games has grown too large again, and so I'm splitting it off again. This list only includes games whose primary action is off-planet, or which feature exploring an unfamiliar planet, or which feature...

Favourite Games by Isaac Buckley

The following polls include votes for Seedship:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible individual PCs of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual PC in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. Games not mentioned here will remain eligible. This is not an...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Implementation of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Implementation in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned...

Maintained Hall of Fame / High score list by Denk
Maintained Hall of Fame or high score list is a great idea. Let's list those games where a maintained hall of fame/high score list is accessible, either within the game or online.

This is version 19 of this page, edited by John Ayliff on 3 January 2019 at 12:59am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item