elements.z5

Elements

by John Evans

Cave crawl
2001

"If humanity is defined by the games we play, then IF defines us as obsessed with magical caves." [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

IFID: ZCODE-1-010928-7BBF
TUID: cyn9p3cjnwrbkemi

26th Place - 7th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2001)

So good implementation is a must, but a pure puzzle game could probably get by with a few minor bugs, so long as they don't ruin the puzzles the way the bugs in Elements do. I would argue that the most important piece, the one overriding quality that a pure puzzle game must have in order to succeed, is good puzzle design. Sadly, Elements lacks this crucial factor as well. I suppose it's just barely possible that someone might struggle through this game without recourse to hints, but I doubt such a person exists.

A complex, underclued game about shuffling crystals and elements around, April 23, 2016
John Evans is know for large, complex games that are often unfinished or broken. This game is the most polished of his that I have played. It is complete, and free of typos.

However, the plot and puzzles are confusing. You are wandering around a cave with colored crystals and rooms corresponding to elements. There are tons of interactions that just make no sense, and some guess the verb

Recommended, with hints, only for fans of big puzzles games.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Paul O'Brian on 24 April 2008 at 11:32am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item