Play online
at itch.​io.

Additional Tales from Castle Balderstone

by Ryan Veeder profile

Episode 2 of Tales from Castle Balderstone

Another anthology of terror, edited by Ryan Veeder, again. Also an ECTOCOMP 2019 entry.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2019
Forgiveness Rating: Bloodcurdling
IFID: ED3C95A3-A4B9-4648-A0B3-1FEFEC362209
TUID: cvy76hm1db0zpnem

3rd Place, Le Grand Guignol - ECTOCOMP 2019

Tales From the Crypt, November 1, 2019
An anthology of spooktacular short games, with charming interstitial material. Some classic Veeder themes are revisited - the (Spoiler - click to show)twist in (Spoiler - click to show)the last game is a gimmick first explored in (Spoiler - click to show)Craverly Heights, frex - but that is not a downside. This collection felt much meatier than the first Tales from Castle Balderstone, although that may be simply because I had adjusted my expectations.

Light in difficulty, if not always in content (although never shocking or mean), I found this a delightful hallowe'en feast.

Short horror parser games connected with a backstory, November 19, 2019
Like the original Balderstone (which you don't have to play to understand this), you are at a gathering of horror writers who tell 'stories' which are minigames. The order of the stories is randomised.

The games are coded well, and the tone varies a lot, sometimes dramatic, sometimes silly, sometimes frightening, all sort of tongue in cheek. Many of them have twists, whether geographical or as a meta-narrative etc.

I came, I saw, I had fun, the stories aren't really related, so why don't you just go try it out and see for yourself?

If you enjoyed Additional Tales from Castle Balderstone...

People who like Additional Tales from Castle Balderstone also gave high ratings to these games:

The Sea Eternal, by Lynnea Glasser
In the enchanted underwater City of Glass, what will you sacrifice for immortality? Love, memories, freedom? Will you take freedom from others to win your heart's desire? Dive into a world of mermaids, mermen, and other merfolk, where...

For a Change, by Dan Schmidt
"The sun has gone. It must be brought. You have a rock." [--blurb from Competition '99]

Escapade!, by Juhana Leinonen
An entry in the 2008 One Room Game Competition. You play the bumbling sidekick of the heroic Captain McBrawn; while trying to carry out a task he's set you, you are captured by the Screaming Communists and imprisoned in a mediaeval...

Additional Tales from Castle Balderstone appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games (All English Winners/Entries) by thecanvasrose

More Recommended Horror Games by thecanvasrose
A list of well-rated, reputable and interesting horror games not included in my favorite horror games list. For those looking to explore the genre in IF.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Zape on 27 January 2020 at 9:15pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item