Download from itch.io

Morning Rituals

by Lucas J.W. Johnson and Devin Vibert

Making our morning cup of coffee is, for many of us, ritualistic; it's a pattern we often choose not to end, whether because we are unwilling or unable to. Morning Rituals explores what might happen if we don't break free from that--or the consequences of succeeding.

A 20-minute game built in Twine, complete with some visuals and a 3-song original soundtrack, Morning Rituals is about the our relationship with coffee, work, and life. It's an exploration of ritual and addiction, the demands of technology, and the balance of work and life.

It was originally commissioned for the Interactive Fiction Fund in May 2015.

TUID: cq4nqc6gcvg7xwcb

Very thematic, a little simple, September 13, 2016
I loved the music. It did a great job of setting the mood without going too ham, A+

I'm still actively trying to understand this game as a whole, which is definitely a pro. And the interface/ use of mundane tasks to create theme was fantastic. Thematically this game is great.

My only critiques against this work are two: the actual story is a little too straightforward (Spoiler - click to show) You get a coffee machine, fiddle with the settings, drink coffee, work, drink coffee, work, follow the instructions of a haunted keurig, sacrifice a woman to it, and drink more coffee, </spoilers> there aren't really any strong characters or interesting dynamics except the ones you. It feels too simplistic, I feel like it could've gotten weirder or more complex

Finally a game combining my love of creepy tales and coffee, January 4, 2017
A short and simple tale, varying depending on your actions. Strong presentation helps the interesting concept to work a lot, and as your actions repeat the changes build up nicely.
Not overly complex, but well-crafted for a short experience.

If you enjoyed Morning Rituals...