Futz Mutz

by Tim Simmons

2000

- Mwe, April 8, 2019

A game about being transformed into a dog, July 10, 2017

In this game, you are a 9 yr old turned into a dog.

Much of the game revolves around acquiring coupons for a dog salon, to transform yourself. It uses graphics extensively.

The game would generally be fun, with a tight map and interesting puzzles, but it has so many puzzles requiring waiting for a long time, and it has a lot of underground bad feelings for women, non-white american peoples, and the aged. It also has a direct attack on a former IF author which is essentially vicious.

For my first 45 minutes of playing Futz Mutz, I thought it was delightful...

Then, about five minutes later, something else happened. This was less like a splash of cold water and more like a kick in the teeth. I won't reprint it here -- it was a personal insult to Suzanne Britton, basically calling her a whore in a couple of different ways. Now look, Suzanne is a friend of mine, so I got very, very angry when I saw this. But even if she wasn't a friend, I'd think that this is way, way out of line...

I tried to continue playing, but my heart wasn't in it anymore. So I turned to the walkthrough and finished the game. Then it was rating time... Should I abstain from rating it at all on the grounds that because I had such a strong emotional response to it, I'm not fit to judge it? Hell no, I decided. I'm going to rate it exactly the same way as I have all the other comp games: based on how much I enjoyed the overall experience. Then I'll write a review telling just what I thought of it, exactly as I have for the other comp games. And that's what I did.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

- Nikos Chantziaras (Greece), April 27, 2010

- googoogjoob, August 4, 2008

You've somehow been turned into a dog and hauled off to a pet store, and you're trying to get back home. Reasonably well implemented, with fairly presentable multimedia, but lots of attitude--including some tasteless slaps at other IF authors--and a generally juvenile sense of humor. There are some reasonably good puzzles, though, and the writing is competent.

-- Duncan Stevens