Competition version.
by David Welbourn

Gone Out For Gruyere

by B F Lindsay

Scavenger Hunt

"Just TRY getting me out of the way! HA HA HA!!" chortled the giant wheel of cheese, diminishingly.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: F6F8C689-C79D-488D-9793-34E6E6999A55
TUID: cjm84d6ke6slw050

30th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A 'cheesy', compact puzzler, November 19, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
I beta tested this game.

In this game, you are bullied by cheese. In a bizarre twist, you find yourself in a sort of pocket-dimension blocked by an enormous, rude wheel of Gruyere cheese.

There are eight corridors leading from the cheese, each heading to a different area containing useful items.

Some of the puzzles can be pretty tricky in this game, and some of the concepts can be very difficult to puzzle out (like what exactly is the nature of the (Spoiler - click to show)'hole' you find). But it's compact nature means that there are only so many things you can try before finding the solution. I found this game to be pretty amusing!

Bill Lindsay's Surreal Cheese Dream, October 16, 2019
by Canalboy (London, UK.)
Related reviews: Bill Lindsay Surreal Parser Based
For those of you have played Bill's two large old school offerings - "Bullhockey!" and "Bullhockey2: The Return Of The Leather Whip" "Gone Out For Gruyere" will come as a surprise.

In this game your girlfriend from the previous offerings sends you out on a mission to buy the eponymous fermented curd (you'd think after rescuing her more than once in the two previous games she would have gone out to get it herself!)

I helped to beta test this one and I really liked the surreal nature of the game (a manoeuvrable hole plays a large part) as does manipulation of a Heath Robinson type of machine.

There are nods towards a more conventional style of film noir narration (the dude with the cigarette could have come from Make It Good) and a red herring or two along the way. There are other NPCs with whom you will also have to interact to complete the game and they are all well delineated.

I have not come across any bugs in the corrected version and the game is blissfully free of inventory limits and misspellings.

There is also an interesting twist at the end of the game when you have acquired the cheese.

I would thouroughly recommend it although prepare to set aside at least a couple of hours as it isn't easy!

Cheese and humour, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
Gone Out for GruyŤre is based on one of the most silly, crazy and absurd premises I have encountered in an IF. Itís also quite easy; here I ultimately find the writing and the humour more essential than the puzzles. And with a talking cheese that mocks your every move as its antagonist, it is very funny.

If you enjoyed Gone Out For Gruyere...