Competition version.
by David Welbourn

Gone Out For Gruyere

by B F Lindsay

Scavenger Hunt

"Just TRY getting me out of the way! HA HA HA!!" chortled the giant wheel of cheese, diminishingly.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: F6F8C689-C79D-488D-9793-34E6E6999A55
TUID: cjm84d6ke6slw050

30th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Bill Lindsay's Surreal Cheese Dream, October 16, 2019
by Canalboy (London, UK.)
Related reviews: Bill Lindsay Surreal Parser Based
For those of you have played Bill's two large old school offerings - "Bullhockey!" and "Bullhockey2: The Return Of The Leather Whip" "Gone Out For Gruyere" will come as a surprise.

In this game your girlfriend from the previous offerings sends you out on a mission to buy the eponymous fermented curd (you'd think after rescuing her more than once in the two previous games she would have gone out to get it herself!)

I helped to beta test this one and I really liked the surreal nature of the game (a manoeuvrable hole plays a large part) as does manipulation of a Heath Robinson type of machine.

There are nods towards a more conventional style of film noir narration (the dude with the cigarette could have come from Make It Good) and a red herring or two along the way. There are other NPCs with whom you will also have to interact to complete the game and they are all well delineated.

I have not come across any bugs in the corrected version and the game is blissfully free of inventory limits and misspellings.

There is also an interesting twist at the end of the game when you have acquired the cheese.

I would thouroughly recommend it although prepare to set aside at least a couple of hours as it isn't easy!

Cheese and humour, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
Gone Out for GruyŤre is based on one of the most silly, crazy and absurd premises I have encountered in an IF. Itís also quite easy; here I ultimately find the writing and the humour more essential than the puzzles. And with a talking cheese that mocks your every move as its antagonist, it is very funny.

Should have gone out for gouda, November 29, 2019
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)
Being trapped in a vortex with evil cheese is one of those settings that pretty much only works in IF and I give the author props for the silly idea. Unfortunately the game is one rather tedious long puzzle that combines all of the worst types of short puzzles together, to wit: a riddle; waiting around until something happens; and of course combining abstract concepts of the on-line world with hastily made explosives(!).

I also wish the angry cheese had more variety; it mocks everything you do, but in exactly the same way at every moment. I only played for about fifteen minutes before resorting to the walkthrough so I could finish.

The endgame was cute, though I was left feeling hungry.

If you enjoyed Gone Out For Gruyere...