Steam
for Windows, Mac, and Linux
App Store
for iPhone, iPad, and iPod
Google Play Store
for Android

Cannonfire Concerto

by Caleb Wilson profile

In an 18th century symphony of intrigue, your supernatural virtuoso performance begins an overture to war!

"Cannonfire Concerto" is a 190,000-word interactive novel by Caleb Wilson, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based--without graphics or sound effects--and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

You are the finest musician of the 18th century. Behind fans and opera glasses, audiences whisper that you are a bearer of Genius, a mysterious supernatural power to master your chosen instrument. At the brink of war, spies, generals, and royalty vie for control of the continent. Will you play them all like a fiddle? Who truly holds the strings?

Play as male, female or non-binary; gay, straight, bi, or asexual. For some, romance is a means to an end. For some, it's a sonata duet of love and sex. Perhaps both.

Will you and your Genius achieve immortality, or will the poisoned pens of critics slaughter your career? Will you overthrow the church, bringing forth a new era of enlightenment, or defend your kingdom from a secular invasion?

The concert hall is silent. The Cannonfire Concerto is about to begin.

Play as male, female or non-binary; gay, straight, bi, or asexual.
Confound the competition with your musical talent on the violin, guitar, or zither.
Do you give a private concert, or are you really there to gather intelligence?
Join Bonaventure Fox on his conquest for Meropa, or fight him on the side of Rienzi.
Romance royalty, or rekindle your relationship with a childhood sweetheart.
Rebuild the nation, or leave it behind to begin anew.

First Publication Date: December 8, 2016
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: cg1d2gwbk252qdma

Charming, Whimsical, Unique, April 6, 2019
by Julia Myer (USA)
I keep thinking about this gem since my first play-through 2 years ago, and couldn't bring myself to ever uninstall it from my Steam library. When I saw there was no IFDB review yet (for shame!), I had the perfect excuse to play it again.

The first thing to be said about Cannonfire Concerto is that the writing is top-notch. Characters and locations are memorably whimsical and dialogue, though often limited in scope, is a delight - not often the case in CYOAs. If you enjoyed the dry humor of inkle's 80 Days, you might be chuckling appreciatively here. Heck, if you enjoyed 80 Days in any capacity, perhaps Cannonfire Concerto is for you.

Although the story is linear and mostly immutable (you play as a touring musician whose path between cities and NPC encounters are pre-determined), one never feels stifled. In fact, there were moments in this game I actually wished for fewer choices than were presented to me, which is a testament either to the author's dedication or my own fickleness, or both. Luckily I was given the explicit choice to make my character as fickle as I am. Your choices determine aspects of your musical traits, your public reputation, and your standings with various political groups/romantic interests. These things in turn influence the interactions and choices available to you on your tour. The large number of people and political factions you can gain/lose favor with to varying degrees give this game high replay value, which is great, considering that it's not free.

I would love to say more about the specifics of the game world and plot, but fear it would ruin the initial charm for you. Suffice it to say, I found this well worth my $4 and still won't be uninstalling after this second go-round.

If you enjoyed Cannonfire Concerto...