Paint.taf
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

Paint!!!

IFID: ADRIFT-400-430AE601F78A0FC9E61BA43105950BD6
TUID: ca4gts8sw4nlvip5

1st Place - InsideADRIFT End of Year Comp 2004

A fun outing!
As with other Whyld outings, we have an array of traditional text adventure puzzles from the sublime to the downright silly. This is tongue-in-cheek stuff and, unlike in some games, it really works here. I think that is because the initial scenario is plausible, credible and easy to imagine. It's madcap nonsense and all the better for it.
-- Laurence Moore

Madcap comedy, if you can Guess the Verb, August 13, 2011
by DB (Chicago, IL)
Playing for the first time is somewhat like walking into a mine field as the game's wacky events of varyingly high levels of improbability go off all around the hapless protagonist. Just like in a mine field, however, the triggers that would allow the player to set off most of the comedic bombs in this game are often invisible, buried by its "Read the Author's Mind" style of puzzle structure. Even playing with the source code visible, I find myself fairly baffled as to how I was supposed to get from point A to point B in many situations-- or even how to start some of them.

Maybe the most annoying part is (Spoiler - click to show)when I am asked if I have any meteor ore and get rejected with no time to respond, even when it is clear to all present that such material is (for reasons I'll leave vague) readily available.

The real loss here is that the situational humor doesn't withstand several playthroughs. Many of the funny parts won't even be seen by the player unless they can guess the verb and work out the byzantine pathways required in solving chains of sometimes interlocking, sometimes independent puzzles. Lack of player friendliness is a heavy weight on what might otherwise be a light-hearted (even sparkling), surreal sitcom.

Perhaps best played with a walkthrough handy.

If you enjoyed Paint!!!...

People who like Paint!!! also gave high ratings to these games:

The Chasing, by Anssi Räisänen

Selma's Will, by Dana Crane
Average member rating: (1 rating)

A Change in the Weather, by Andrew Plotkin
"Walking away from a picnic, you are suddenly caught in a country storm. You must protect a bridge from being destroyed. An ultra-linear game." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Paint!!! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Not Too Long, Not Too Difficult by Eric Mayer
Being impatient and puzzle-challenged, I prefer rather short games that I can make it through without resorting to hints every other turn. The following leap to mind, in no particular order.

Comedy that works by Emily Short
Light-hearted, well-paced interactive humor.

Games Worth Playing by Jim Turner
Some of the games I liked best.

The following polls include votes for Paint!!!:

Fun single-room games by Jeff Sonas
My kids (9 and 12) like to play IF games on my phone during car drives so they are looking for something quick and fun that doesn't require much mapping. What single-room adventures are out there?

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Richard Otter on 2 May 2019 at 1:26am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item