Tass Times in Tonetown

by Michael Berlyn and Muffy Berlyn

1986

Tonetown! It's a totally radical dimension where the top tune is Tass by the Daglets, the top Gear is Troppo-Wear, and the UltraTouch haircut is a DieCut by Chaz.
What are you doing there? Simple. Your favorite guy, Gramps, has disappeared from his warm, cozy home dimension. He's stuck in Tonetown and it's up to you to figure a way to get him out.
That's tricky enough, but just to make things even more interesting, there's a character with green scales, dirty fur, and yellow fangs. His name is Franklin Snarl, and he's not half as nice as he looks. And if he gets you before you get Gramps, you won't look so great either.
Along the way, you'll get lots of help from Ennio the Legend, who used to be Gramp's dog Spot, and you'll get lots of clues from some UltraTone friends, but the tough stuff is up to you.
So what's the deal? Are you Tass enough to go for it? Think it over. Because once you get to Tonetown, the only way out is to go all the way in.

License: Commercial
TUID: c6t1pghk322c2tjy

One of the more interesting pieces of '80s IF, September 16, 2015
by mjhayes (Niagara Falls, NY)
Related reviews: commercial, CGA, classic
This is a game which I got as part of the Interplay's 10th Anniversary Anthology. I found it strange in that I liked the two oldest games the most, this being one of them. This game included a fictitious newspaper, which is something I admired even more. The early commercial releases of Infocom games included printed material (which you often had to refer to throughout the game, as a means of copy protection) and odd trinkets, which added to the delight of the gameplay experience. That is something lacking in newer games these days.

Tass Times In Tonetown is set in what the '80s MTV generation thought the future would be like. One thing you discover pretty quickly is that Tonetown citizens do not take kindly to strangers. You'll probably die several times without knowing why, until you read the newspaper articles a couple of times over.

Some of the puzzles were strange, and there was a fair amount of inventory management that you had to do. It had icons for common commands and your inventory slots, but I don't think I ever got the mouse to work with this game. It obviously relied on some kind of proprietary early mouse driver.

The strange people and locations kept the game interesting, and I enjoyed playing it through multiple times. It's worth a try.

If you enjoyed Tass Times in Tonetown...

People who like Tass Times in Tonetown also gave high ratings to these games:

Uncle Zebulon's Will, by Magnus Olsson
Your eccentric Uncle Zebulon considered himself a wizard, and was rumoured to be very wealthy. But when he died, he only left you one single object in his will... Winner in the TADS division of the First Annual IF Competition, 1995.

Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin
A vacation in our lovely country! See the ethnic charms of the countryside, the historic grandeur of the capital city. Taste our traditional cuisine; smell the flowers of the Old Tree. And all without leaving your own armchair! But all...

Glowgrass, by Nate Cull
You play as a xenohistorian on an expedition. You've been dropped (more literally than you planned) by a dropship over the ground of the Ancients. Your equipment was scattered and the dropship crashed. Now it's just you, your wits, and...

The following polls include votes for Tass Times in Tonetown:

Non-Infocom games of commercial era worth playing by tekket
What commercial games published between 1980-1993 other than those by Infocom do you think are worth playing?

Games featuring music by Karl Ove Hufthammer
I have always thought that music has a huge potential for enhancing IF, more so than graphics has. So what are the best examples of IF games that use music? Note that this poll does not include games with only sound effects; they have to...

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by o0pyromancer0o on 23 April 2010 at 7:41pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item