Walkthrough
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Ürs

by Christopher Hayes and Daniel Talsky

You're a regular rabbit who's lived in the same warren your entire life. You have no reason to leave, but the THUD threatens to destroy all the baby kittens. Maybe something in the ancient places of the Ürs could help.

A lushly illustrated adventure about rabbits, inspired by Watership Down, City of Ember, Skyrim, Caves of Qud, Super Mario Brothers, and Apocolypse now.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
Current Version: Beta
License: Creative Commons
IFID: 2178685F-1CDC-4AF1-A5E6-CC6A0EFE7C1A
TUID: bzxt7fme5nwrqto1

8th Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

Cute bedtime story with a sci fi touch, November 23, 2018
The title of my review summarizes how reading/playing this story felt to me.

On the one hand, parts felt like an illustrated bedtime story you might read to your children. The usual life of the shown rabbit society consists of sleeping, eating, digging and getting new cute rabbit babys, and the authors somehow manage to invoke the feeling that you (the reader) are indeed living this life.

On the other hand, the particular rabbit whose role you play has some higher goals: Very often, the peaceful and self-sufficient life of his rabbit friends is interrupted by hard "thuds" which endanger the rabbit's warren. As nobody else seems to care, it is your task to do something against these "thuds".

So you start an adventurous voyage, to discover what lies behind your usual warren, and to find a rescue against the "thuds". I won't write about any details of this adventure, but it's nicely done and shown with lots of great illustrations. Your rabbit-like movements and your partly-naive rabbit-like thinking are described well, and the urgency of the task is also comprehensible. So while everything remains cute (rabbits...), you still take your protagonist and his cause seriously.

Central to the game is one puzzle which requires a bit of thinking, but is not too hard. This is also the part of the story related to sci fi (you'll easily see why, once you have reached this part of the game. That's really a sense-of-wonder moment for our rabbit protagonist).

Overall, I don't regret playing this game; it took me about 30 minutes. I'd even like to read more stories in this setting.

If you enjoyed Ürs...