NightBeforeChristmas.zblorb

An Abbreviated Night Before Christmas

by Adam Thornton profile

Seasonal
2006

Clement Clarke Moore is rolling in his grave.

Development System: Inform
IFID: 765B552E-A3B1-4A42-B5CD-5E5564C45732
TUID: bu0jpc1uo487nc3n

look, September 13, 2016
Originally I'd thought that there wasn't too much to this game. I'd struggled to find new meaningful actions that would progress the story, I thought that maybe there was some way to win this classic poem. The more I tried though, the less far I'd gotten. I tried every combination of verbs I could think of, and the only one that got me anywhere was "look". And I think that's the heart of this work.

Art is inherently useless. Okay maybe I said that wrong- art cannot be utilitarian. The second a work is relegated to mundanity, once it loses its conception and becomes a "thing I do things with", it ceases to have artistic merit. Sure you can view household products as abstract representations, and sure products can be aesthetically beautiful, but the my shoelace or my fork can't maintain that beauty while I'm using them to eat or walk from place to place.

That's what this work is to me, or this is how I perceive it anyway, it's a reminder to watch, to keep your distance from the fantastic. You'll get the most from this story if you try to listen to it, understand it, speak to it. But don't try gaming it or using it to win, no, you need to treat it with respect and let it tell its story.

The poem A Night Before Christmas, one line at a time, July 27, 2016
This game seems to have been intended as a noke, but it's actually not bad. You are the papa in the poem, and the children, mamma, and stocking are there. And the poem's action just plays out one line at a time.

So, it's not that bad as interactivish poetry.

If you enjoyed An Abbreviated Night Before Christmas...

People who like An Abbreviated Night Before Christmas also gave high ratings to these games:

Epitaph, by Max Kreminski
idle game about existential risks and the death of civilizations

Morning Rituals, by Lucas J.W. Johnson, Devin Vibert
Making our morning cup of coffee is, for many of us, ritualistic; it's a pattern we often choose not to end, whether because we are unwilling or unable to. Morning Rituals explores what might happen if we don't break free from that--or...

The following polls include votes for An Abbreviated Night Before Christmas:

Brilliant trolling games by Not Troll
Some games are just that bad, some are so bad it's good, and a few are obviously trolling. Yet, are there games that troll so much that they start to be brilliant? Or even those that seems to be trolling that turn out to be brilliant...

IF that centers around holidays by Molly
I'm looking for IF that centers around specific real-world holidays, e.g. Christmas, Hanukkah, Easter, Passover, the Fourth of July, Guy Fawkes Day, Halloween, etc.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 1 June 2018 at 11:15pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item