wump2ka.z5

2004

IFID: ZCODE-1-041119-9418
TUID: bsqx3xdl6epc52cu

Adapted from Hunt the Wumpus, by Gregory Yob, Magnus Olsson, and David Ahl

The objective is simple survival and, ultimately, escape. To do this, the player must explore a 5-level, 100 room dungeon which is randomly generated for each game, building up equipment and experience in preparation for her showdown with the game's ultimate foe, the wumpus itself. In classic dungeon crawl style, the monsters and challenges get steadily tougher as one progresses, but the rewards -- in the form of more powerful weapons, and treasures which can add to the player's score upon escape -- also increase. [...]

For me, the problem with a game like this is that increased challenge just feels like increased tedium. At some point it all becomes work rather than fun, and then I either give up or cheat. I suspect that many other IF players are, like me, looking for something fundamentally different in their computer entertainment than that which Wumpus 2000 provides, and so I am not surprised that there has been virtually no discussion of this game in the community since its release. Still, if you think you might enjoy a heaping dose of RPG-style simulation and old-school mapping puzzles to go with a little bit of narrative, give Wumpus 2000 a try. It really does do what it does very well, and I don't know of any other modern parser-based game quite like it.
-- Jimmy Maher

If you enjoyed Wumpus 2000...

People who like Wumpus 2000 also gave high ratings to these games:

Lists and Lists, by Andrew Plotkin
A tutorial in which a genie teaches you the basics of a simplified version of LISP. [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

I Think The Waves Are Watching Me, by Bob McCabe
In a mysterious, dream-like world, enormous tidal waves have surrounded an island -- trapping you along with many others. And then the killing starts. What are you going to do? Better decide quickly. You have two hours left and the clock...

Six Silver Bullets, by William Dooling
You are the Silver Agent, a spy who has lost their mind. You are alone in the city, without your memories...but you do have a mission, and it changes every time you play. You also have your silver gun. It will kill any agent you choose...

Wumpus 2000 appears in the following Recommended Lists:

The following polls include votes for Wumpus 2000:

Games with high replay value by Wendymoon
What games do you find yourself returning to again and again? Maybe to get every last lousy point, to do some amusing things, to try for different endings or just for the enjoyment of replaying?

Games with good rpg elements that are if by Zzoro26
I'm looking for a good interactive IF that has good rpg elements

What are your favorite games? by Christopher Caesar
I was wondering which games are worth playing, as I haven't found any games that take a while to complete that are worth playing

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 12 May 2013 at 9:45am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item