Story file

Escape From Santaland

by Jason Ermer profile

Fantasy/Seasonal
2011

Ugh. Christmastime at the mall. The last place you want to be, during the worst time of year to be there.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
IFID: 252E12C9-81F5-45FC-98C0-8BA8CA946B50
TUID: br46v97916gdaa4e

4th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
The emphasis on implausible brain teasers and light layer of fiction may not appeal to everyone, but the game thoroughly accomplishes what it sets out to do. People who like Hollywood Hijinx or some of the classics of the mid-90s will probably find Escape from Santaland a light-hearted and tidily constructed entry in that tradition.

A mid-sized puzzlefest in a mall at Christmas, February 3, 2016
This game is a classic-style puzzle adventure strung together into a thin plot. Your keys are stolen in a cheesy Christmas area at a mall, and you have to get it back by operating a series of complicated machines.

This game hits up a lot of the classic puzzle types. Light source puzzle, complicated lock and key, disassembling and reassembling items, removing obstructing NPCs, trial and error puzzles, etc.

The puzzles are mildly difficult for a puzzlefest and the game is not too long. A compass rose aids navigation and the writing spruces up the whole affair.

Basically, if you like Not Just an Ordinary Ballerina, you'll like this, it's younger, smaller cousin.

If you enjoyed Escape From Santaland...

People who like Escape From Santaland also gave high ratings to these games:

Party Foul, by Brooks Reeves
You're cornered, trapped. There seems to be no escape. You aren't in a jail cell. No, you're in the cocktail party from hell and only by using your wits and luck are you going to get out of this suburb alive.

Galatea, by Emily Short
Emily Short's description: A conversation with a work of art. "47. Galatea. White Thasos marble. Non-commissioned work by the late Pygmalion of Cyprus. (The artist has since committed suicide.) Originally not an animate. The waking of...

Zork II, by Dave Lebling, Marc Blank
The Wizard appears, floating nonchalantly in the air beside you. He grins sideways at you. The Wizard incants "Fantasize," but nothing happens. He shakes his wand. Nothing happens. With a slightly embarrassed glance in your direction, he...

The following polls include votes for Escape From Santaland:

Lost Pig type puzzle complexity by Mostly Useless
I haven't played a lot of IF, as I'm often put off by what are (for me) difficult puzzles. Without doubt the most satisfaction I've had from finishing a game has been Admiral Jota's Lost Pig, and I would love to hear about other games...

IF that centers around holidays by Molly
I'm looking for IF that centers around specific real-world holidays, e.g. Christmas, Hanukkah, Easter, Passover, the Fourth of July, Guy Fawkes Day, Halloween, etc.

Games where you can't screw up by Pinstripe
Sometimes, when I'm playing a game, I spend more time juggling my save files than I do reading the text. I don't want to have to restart because I picked up the green rod instead of the clay jug (with apologies to Zarf). So I'm looking...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Sobol on 13 August 2016 at 2:21pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item