Speed Demons

by Pleroma profile

A short twine game about loss, disconnection, barriers, and the systematic shattering of all three with those most human of tools: whatever there is to hand. Three paths, 9 endings, and hopefully quite a bit of detail still to be seen after a few runs.

Inspired by the song "Pushing the Speed of Light", by Julia Ecklar & Anne Prather.

Current Version: 1.0.1
TUID: bpx5wx7o43ut2864

Nominee, Best Writing - 2019 XYZZY Awards

A short and poignant game about breaking the speed of light, September 18, 2020
This game was nominated for the XYZZY awards, and was one of 2 commercial games I hadn't heard of.

This game is based off of the lyrics to the song "Pushing the Speed of Light", which I looked up after playing. I think they add to the gameplay.

This game branches into 3 paths and each of those paths has a success and two failures, I believe (one for too slow, one for too fast). The three paths you choose between give you different backstories and goals.

I thought the writing was well-done, and my opinion of it improved as I replayed. I especially like the 'singing' path. It reminds me of a lot of the sci-fi in the 60's to 70's. It's not necessarily poetical or lyrical all of the time, but it places humans in a situation impossible in our present reality and uses that to give insights into our nature.

Here's my score:
-Polish. The game uses the standard Twine styling, and paragraphs have no line between them, making reading a little bit hard for me.
+Descriptiveness. This is one of the highlights of the game, the detailed descriptions of the technology and its effects, as well as your feelings and the crew's.
+Interactivity. Wildly branching games like this only work well if it's short, and this one is. Does what it's supposed to.
+Emotional impact. Hmm, it's kind of back and forth for me. I liked it but didn't really identify with any of the characters, and I feel like identifying is important for this piece. I'd give this 1/2 a star for emotional impact, but I round up.
+Would I play again? I've already replayed it several times.

If you enjoyed Speed Demons...

People who like Speed Demons also gave high ratings to these games:

Human Errors, by Katherine Morayati
A contractor assigned to handle bug reports for a wearable mood-regulation device becomes unwitting witness to trauma and crime.

Base of the Comet, by rosencrantz
Base of the Comet is an interactive story about Cal Yeasin, space scientist. There will be monsters. There are sideways paths and detours where you can learn more about Cal or explore a few more bits of ship and wreckage. There are...

Paisley, by Chandler Groover, Failbetter Games
Average member rating: (1 rating)
An aesthete has been murdered, and only his paisley outfit can identify the killer. Unfortunately, that outfit is on the lam. Track down the missing ensemble, conspire with textiles, and try to avoid a wardrobe malfunction.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Pleroma on 28 March 2019 at 6:08pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item