Speed Demons

by Pleroma profile

A short twine game about loss, disconnection, barriers, and the systematic shattering of all three with those most human of tools: whatever there is to hand. Three paths, 9 endings, and hopefully quite a bit of detail still to be seen after a few runs.

Inspired by the song "Pushing the Speed of Light", by Julia Ecklar & Anne Prather.

Current Version: 1.0.1
TUID: bpx5wx7o43ut2864

Nominee, Best Writing - 2019 XYZZY Awards

A short and poignant game about breaking the speed of light, September 18, 2020
This game was nominated for the XYZZY awards, and was one of 2 commercial games I hadn't heard of.

This game is based off of the lyrics to the song "Pushing the Speed of Light", which I looked up after playing. I think they add to the gameplay.

This game branches into 3 paths and each of those paths has a success and two failures, I believe (one for too slow, one for too fast). The three paths you choose between give you different backstories and goals.

I thought the writing was well-done, and my opinion of it improved as I replayed. I especially like the 'singing' path. It reminds me of a lot of the sci-fi in the 60's to 70's. It's not necessarily poetical or lyrical all of the time, but it places humans in a situation impossible in our present reality and uses that to give insights into our nature.

Here's my score:
-Polish. The game uses the standard Twine styling, and paragraphs have no line between them, making reading a little bit hard for me.
+Descriptiveness. This is one of the highlights of the game, the detailed descriptions of the technology and its effects, as well as your feelings and the crew's.
+Interactivity. Wildly branching games like this only work well if it's short, and this one is. Does what it's supposed to.
+Emotional impact. Hmm, it's kind of back and forth for me. I liked it but didn't really identify with any of the characters, and I feel like identifying is important for this piece. I'd give this 1/2 a star for emotional impact, but I round up.
+Would I play again? I've already replayed it several times.

If you enjoyed Speed Demons...