Play online
at itch.​io.

Tales from Castle Balderstone

by Ryan Veeder profile

An anthology of terror, edited by Ryan Veeder. Also an ECTOCOMP 2018 entry.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2018
IFID: 1C114FA9-6864-440C-A832-23AC3FABB3D8
TUID: bpp58cwqb8gfu1wk

Winner, Le Grand Guignol - EctoComp 2018

A humorous and horrifying collection of short Halloween games, November 3, 2018
This game is framed as a collection of friends sharing tales. After an intimidating wall of opening text, you begin playing the mini-games in random order.

You can, at any time, excuse yourself to go to the bathroom to skip a tale, which opens up a small segment of the game.

The stories were fun, and in a wide range. One was essentially a one-note joke; one was a deeply disturbing exploration in three parts that was frankly horrifying; another was like a fairy tale; and the fourth is a fun riff on metaphorical games.

I found this game truly enjoyable. Its one defect for me was the difficulty in finding the right actions/verbs on a regular basis. However, that may be part of the charm. But when I saw a pattern on the wallpaper and couldn't X PATTERN, or couldn't get a response for cutting it with one of two items present in the game, I got frustrated. SHOUT could work more often, TALK TO isn't implemented. But I don't know if it's worth it going back to spruce this game up, since the fun's already there.

If you enjoyed Tales from Castle Balderstone...